Now...Half a Century Old!

Comments

Todd Arnold 6 years, 10 months ago

I noticed that it has been a week since I have written an update, so I will give you the highlights of the past several days. On Wednesday the 23rd, I turned 50 years old. I received a wonderful sweater purchased from the Edinburgh Woolen Mill shop (Kathy's favorite shop in Ely) and a Cambridge Universtity shirt. We celebrated by going north again to the North Sea shore in Norfolk. This time we went to the beach in Brancaster. The kids had a marvelous time. We ate lunch at a restaurant called The Ship. It had been in service since 1746! After lunch, we went to another fatastic manor called Houghton Hall near King's Lynn. The 5-acre walled garden was magnificent and included a croquet green. Nathan, Tim and I played a game while Kathy and Emily enjoyed the garden. What a memorable birthday celebration! Thursday, we added a picnic and a walk along the River Great Ouse to our market day in Ely. On Saturday, our friends from Manchester, Graham and Ann Jackson, came for a visit. They stayed in a bed and breakfast in a nearby village so we had all day. The highlight of our visit was a trip to the Mill where we had seen the Swan's nest. The eggs were now baby swans. We took, with the Jacksons, that wonderful hike through the thicket to St. Ives. The Jackson's will be our hosts when we visit the Lake District in a couple of weeks. On Sunday, I preached the sermon "The Gospel - Clear and Powerful" for Pentecost Sunday at Resurrection Lutheran Church in Cambridge...my first outside of the U.S.A. A contingency was visiting from a Lutheran Seminary in Germany for a friendly "football" match with the seminarians from Westfield house, so the church was packed and had the feel of the first Pentecost day, with several languages represented. It was really an honor and a privilege. Yesterday (Monday) we went to the Ely Museum to get some local history. We found out that the weekly outdoor market day that we have been going to has been going since 970 A.D. Isn't that amazing! There is so much history here: the Roman conquest in 1066, the Saxon invasions of the 12th century and on and on. We have just over two weeks here before we move on...still so much to see...

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.