Finally - a Bit of Rain!

Comments

Todd Arnold 7 years ago

Today, April 23, is St. George's Day in England - a bank holiday. It was also the first day of any significant rain in the 10 days we've been here. St. George, the dragon slayer, is the patron saint of England, I'm told. Friday, the first leg of our British Author Literature tour took us to the Huntingdon area, just west of Haddenham where we are staying. Author Lucy Boston's home is The Manor at Hemingsford Grey. Her son, Peter, illustated the children's book series "the Green Knowe" with scenes from around the manor. Since the kids and I had read "The Children of Green Knowe," (available, by the way, at the Payson Public Library) the place made the book come alive. The home is interesting in and of itself. It was built in the 1100's in the Norman era. (A 900 year old house!) It's gardens were absolutely beautiful. The current resident is Diane Boston, the daughter-in-law of Lucy and wife of the late Peter Boston. It is said to be the oldest continually lived-in home in Great Britain. While in Huntingdon we also visited an Oliver Cromwell Museum near his birthplace. We had visited another Cromwell residence in Ely earlier in the week. On Saturday the Arnold family recieved lessons on playing cricket from the Innes family - owners of the Old Porch House, where we are staying. Afterwards, we had a barbeque together and while the grown-ups chatted in the conservatory , the children played an assortment of games. The Innes' daughter, Victoria, is Emily's age and their son, Joseph, is between the age of Nathan and Tim. Sunday, we attended Resurrection Lutheran Church in Cambridge, had a picnic lunch at Westfield House - the seminary of the Ev. Lutheran Church of England, then walked 1 1/2 miles through the city to the Camb. Univ. Botanic Gardens. What a wonderful place. Today, despite the rain, we were able to take a nice walk on a public footpath after the kids finished their homeschool and then spent some time at the Haddenham library, where we are now card-packing members. The cards can be used also at the Ely and Cambridge public libraries, also, which are much larger. I have finished reading the first C.S. Lewis book that I brought along to read, and today started Lewis' "The Problem of Pain", a theological look at why God allows pain in the lives of his people. Tomorrow, while Kathy and the Kids do school, I am going to Cambridge to meet with the preceptor (headmaster) of Westfield House and to take a walking tour from a book I have called "C.S. Lewis' Cambridge." More on that later... Ta-ta!

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.