Rain, Rain, Go Away

Comments

Todd Arnold 6 years, 11 months ago

It has rained quite a bit the last several days...this is more normal than the great weather we experienced the first three weeks here. But Sunday was the first day that our plans were altered by the inclement weather. We has planned to attend a local festival called "Blossoms and Bygones"...but it was just too wet. The event featured tractor-pulled wagons that take you through the village to local historical sites and gardens...but we couldn't make ourselves do it in the pouring rain. In any event, it was a still nice day. In the morning we went to a Church of England worship service at the Ely Cathedral. This magnificent 12th century structure is really incredible, considering the fact that Ely is not much larger than Payson population-wise. The liturgical service was not unfamiliar at all and we felt very much at home with the worship style. After church we got lunch at Three Kings - the Haddenham pub. In the evening, after the rain subsided, we went to a barbeque and gathering hosted by the owners of the Old Porch House - the house we are living in. It was a lot of fun and we got to visit with some of the locals. On Monday afternoon, I went to the weekly lectionary lesson Bible study at Westfield House. The entire faculty and all the students attend. With me visiting, there we 15 in attendance. We did a complete exegetical study on Acts 2:1-21 which is the passage for Pentecost Sunday and also the one I will be preaching on on May 27. Needless to say, it was very helpful for me as sermon preparation. On Tuesday, while Kathy and the kids did school, I went to Huntingdon (15 miles west) to re-visit the Oliver Cromwell Museum (Huntingdon is where he lived his first 30 years.) We went on April 20th, but I have since read a biography on Cromwell that I got at the library, so I wanted to return to see some of the documents of his "Protectorate" that I has read about. I am like everyone else here in England. I still can't figure out if he was a hero or a villian! In the afternoon we went back to the Wicken Fen - a wonderful nature preserve about six miles from here - for a long walk and ended up finishing the walk in the rain... On Wednesday we're heading up north again. I'll tell you all about it next time. Till then... Todd

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.