East Verde Park

Comments

Tim Barrett 5 years, 3 months ago

My father worked with John King for many years at Aviation Specialties at Falcon Field in Mesa and he and his wife Mary Anne built two cabins south of the river in East Verde Park. There first cabin was called the "Sugar Shack"! We first went there in 1969 or 1970 and I immediately fell in love with hiking the area and fishing in the East Verde, at that time before the Labor Day flood in 1971 or so, it was a blue ribbon trout stream! I was interested to know who were the original builders there.

Pat Randall 5 years, 3 months ago

Tim, Try researching the name Blevins for the East Verde Park area.

Tim Ehrhardt 5 years, 3 months ago

Tim,

I don't have much of an answer for you yet at this point, but will do some digging. The first plat for the East Verde Park subdivision was recorded on July 8, 1955. I have found some ads in some digitzed Arizona Republic's for that subdivision out of 1959. If you copy and paste the line below into your browser, it should take you to one that I put online.

I will ask around and see what I can find. East Verde Park is just one of many subdivisions up here that are at or near 50 years old, as a boom occurred once the paving of the Beeline Highway was completed.

http://picasaweb.google.com/c21ehrhardt/EastVerdePark#5288303298552538978

Blevins was there before there was a subdivision. i940's Ranch or mining claim. maybe. Misunderstood what you were talking about. Sorry

David Vaughn 5 years, 3 months ago

The local flyfishing club, Payson Flycasters, (paysonflycasters.com) have adopted the East Verde as their home waters and will be working with varying entities to improve water habitat. The club participants desire to see the East Verde return to quality waters once flows improve from CC Cragin in the near future. Check out their home page for continual updates.

Tim, Try the real estate office that was selling the lots. Or the Ariz. Real Estate Dept. Gila County building inspectors office. C'mon, think you are the researcher. (: The developer probably built the first house there.

David, Don't hold your breath waiting on all that water.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.