What does Payson history mean to you?

Comments

Tim Ehrhardt 7 years, 5 months ago

What do you think of when you hear the term Payson history? What things do you associate with it?

Pat Randall 7 years, 5 months ago

When I hear the word Payson History, I usually get upset if it concerns most things written about Payson and the people who lived here.

What I remember is the fairness, people helping people, without hoping to get thier picture in the paper. Saturday night dances at the Pioneer Bar dance hall and the Elks Bar Dance hall, later named the Winchester. A trip to the East Verde River to swim. Sledding down the hill from Payson Rock hoping we could stop before falling in the icy water in American Gulch.

NO TOWN GOVT.

Kids making thier own entertainment, playing board games, like Monopoly or getting exercise walking or riding a bike, or playing work-up softball at the school, with out having to make reservations or asking permission from someone to use school property. Parents taking care of thier kids, and everyone looking out for all the kids. Of course that sometimes backfired when we thought we got away with something. Only one sheriff, who talked to the kids for minor things, not throwing them in jail so they have a record for the rest of thier lives. Usually a threat to tell thier parents did the job.

Susan Grubbs 7 years, 5 months ago

Pat, you're describing Small Town, USA in the 50's and 60's. Well, except for the not town government part.

It was in the late 40's and 50's. It was a little like Mayberry except we didn't have a Barney Fife.

Pat, I wasn't born until 1952, which is why I picked the decades I did.

llandproud, I had my first child that year. I'm old enough to be your mother.

I'm sure, though, that my mother is considerably older than you. She'll be 88 in July.

I started early, she started late, but I think we both did good raising our kids.

Dean, Back to your post on the 23rd. Think what great pictures you could take from the glass ramp or whatever it is. (: You couldn't pay me enough money to go out on it. I won't ride in a glass elevator on the outside of a bldg. Did it once but only because I was forced to!

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.