Arizona's State Quarter

Comments

Tim Ehrhardt 7 years, 8 months ago

You have until midnight this Friday to vote for your favorite Arizona quarter design. The site you need to visit to do so is our governor's site, at www.azgovernor.gov. This is a really good chance to be a part of Arizona history, as this quarter will obviously be around for a long time.

Personally, I like the third one, the desert scene, the best.

Pat Randall 7 years, 8 months ago

Tim, Here I go again. I don't like the desert scene, because a lot of people think that all of Ariz. is just one big desert.. We have almost everything in Ariz. that all the other states have except no sea coast.
I like the one with the Code Talkers. They were the heroes of WW 2. I don't know where they came up with the written word Nihizaad, as there is no written language for the Navajos. Or at least there wasn't as of 1994. One of the workers on the raising of Roosevelt dam was the son of a code talker. He was trying to teach me Navajo.. I told him to write down the words and I would study them. He said we have no written language and the next fight between the Whites and Indians they were going to win. I think he was joking.

My thought for a coin would've been the Superstitions or Four Peaks, with a cactus and some cattle in front of it. Perhaps even a miner or a pick axe thrown in somewhere for good measure. (Drawing back to the 5c's of course.)

I'm not huge on the Code Talkers, I think they're a bit overplayed as far as this state's history goes. The Powell journey was far more groundbreaking as far as our history goes, and I favor something that better represents Arizona. We're a mix of mountains and desert and that's a better representation. Plus there were more than just Navajos as Code Talkers as I understand it.

Navajos are the only ones that understand the Navajo language. That is why they were used as no one else could speak or break their language down. They are not overplayed anywhere. They were instrumental in us winning the war. AND THAT IS HISTORY!!!
They were here before Powell.

LDS members crossed the Colorado River at Lee's Crossing with cattle and wagons while it was frozen if you want to talk about that.

As I recall, the code wasn't purely Navajo that was used. It's important to remember that other tribes, including the Hopis, were involved as well. If you Google Hopi Code talker, you will find articles stating this.

World War II was a multi-pronged effort. As in any great cause, a great number of groups contributed to our success, including the many who fought so hard on D-Day. I'm just saying that as far as something that's representative of Arizona, I think there are better things, including the many contributions of our Native Americans before and since World War II.

IF there were Hopi code talkers, it was because their reservation is in the middle of the Navajo Reservation and they picked up parts of the language.

To stop this argument. The Atomic Bomb really ended it.

Dean, your idea is great, but have you looked at the price of copper lately? I think it is quite a bit higher than silver.

I read in the Mesa paper where the police were asking the contractors to not leave copper tubing or pipe at construction sites if they were not locked in a secure building. So many thefts of copper they can't keep up with them. To bad the copper mines have mostly been closed down. Remember Bisbee, Superior, Hayden, Globe-Miami and Duncan maybe? All ghost towns. What did Jerome and Clarkdale mine?

Actually, Globe is booming once again, with more copper mines opening in the near future, putting a strain on housing. I believe there was an article in the East Valley Trib or AZ Republic just this past week about it.

kenneth murphy 7 years, 8 months ago

Actually an Arizona Quarter would have Wrigley Field, the Empire State Building, some cheese, and a burning flag to represent the true makeup of Arizona - people relocated from Chicago, New York, Wisconsin, and California. Very few people are actually from Arizona - so all Natives Americans should be represented - along with those above.

Hizzoner, So glad to see you back. Now. My family on one side came to Tonto Basin in 1872, One great grandfather was the first white man to drown in Tonto Creek at Giesela in 1904. My grandmother was born at Greenback, Tonto Basin in 1888. my dad born in Gisela in 1904, me in Kingman in 1936. Another grandfather came to Payson in 1898. My husband and his dad were born in Pine. All three of my kids, 5 grandkids and 6 great grandkids were born here. WE ARE ARIZONA. Tell Julie Hi. Still miss you all.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.