AHS Convention Preservation Workshop Part 1

Comments

Pat Randall 7 years, 7 months ago

I think it is unfair that because a building is on the National Register, the taxes are lower. It just has to be old, nothing historical and the poor guy that has a newer bldg trying to make a living gets hit with huge taxes. With churches not paying taxes, a lot of non profits, historical and I don't know what else, pretty soon there will be just you and me paying the high taxes .For example, check on the amount of taxes paid by Bud's Plumbing Bldg and the Oxbow Bldg.

Tim Ehrhardt 7 years, 7 months ago

Actually, age is just one of the requirements, though it can be waived. Typically, to be eligible for the National Register the building needs to be at least 50 years old. But there are circumstances where it can be less than that.

The site has to have some meaning, whether it be associated with a specific person or representative of something bigger and more important. This isn't a slam dunk process. You have to find the right criterion to fit on under and give actual meaning. This isn't a case where someone simply fills out a one page form and gets a write-off; it's far more involved in that and ultimately designed to have more authentic communities that are tied to their past.

To compare the Oxbow to Bud's is an unfortunate comparison - the Oxbow is most definitely representative something very important of Payson's past.

Tim Ehrhardt 7 years, 7 months ago

Yesterday I had the pleasure attending a day long historic preservation workshop at the Arizona Historical Society Convention. This workshop was put on jointly by the Arizona and New Mexico State Historic Preservation Offices.

I was thrilled that a couple of other people from Rim Country attended. They were both from our Rim Country Archaeology chapter and hail from the Pine/Strawberry area. It’s good to see our archaeology folks getting out there.

There’s something that I want to clear up, based on what I’ve heard from people. Just because something is on the National Register, does not mean that changes cannot be made to the site or building. It just means that if changes are made that hurt the historic integrity of the place, it could be de-listed from the register at that point. (Though it should be noted that it would take a public complaint for de-listing to be looked into.)

There are some great benefits to being on the National Register, including property tax savings. To be on the National Register, it doesn’t have to be a building, it could be a district, a site, a building, or even an object. There are four different criterions that the item could fall under.

I’ll be posting some other things I learned from this workshop over the next couple days. If you have any questions about historic preservation, please ask them here. If you think your property may be eligible for the National Register and you’d like to know more, stop by my office and I’ll be happy to look further into your property and help you with the process.

Pat Randall 7 years, 7 months ago

Bud's Plumbing was the first Elk's Club lodge in Payson and I believe it is 50 yrs or older.

Pat Randall 6 years, 5 months ago

The old garage at the corner of Main and McLane was built in 1929 and there was a diesel generator there that furnished the first electricity in Payson.

It was built with material from the RR. roundhouse in Miami or Globe.

Pat Randall 6 years, 5 months ago

How many buildings in Payson are in the National Register, and where are they ?

Mike McLaughlin 6 years, 5 months ago

Isn't the National Register the supermarket tabloid type newspaper that Jack McGee worked for while reporting on the sightings of the incredible Hulk!

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.