PAYSON TEA PARTY

Comments

Tom Garrett 5 years ago

If a couple of people had those eight passenger or twelve passenger vans, maybe they could bring people from the Walmart parking lot or something. I don't know, though; too organized.

Walking over from Sawmill ought to work. Not too far at all and a lot of spaces at the right time of day.

Man I wish I could be there! Everybody in town that I want to meet is going to be there.

Bernice Winandy 5 years ago

Good one Shovelhead!! Do you think there might be elephant rides?

Mike McLaughlin 5 years ago

Why not park in the same place as all the visitors to the craft fair that is held in the same location!

I was going to ask Pat what time she wanted me to pick her up on the harley but she's forum time out! :(

I'm thinking 2:00 to 2:30 is about the time I'll be able to break away to attend this historic event. I'll be the one dressed like a cowboy. NOT! :)

Do you think there will be a pin the tail on the donkey contest?

Tom Garrett 5 years ago

Chief,

Wish I could, but I never get out of the house. Wish y'all luck though.

Chief Hinton 5 years ago

TOM GET INVOLVED NOW On April 15, Tax Day, those of us who believe in free markets and limited government have an enormous opportunity. This opportunity is the Nationwide Tax Day Tea Party. I am proud to be a part of a coalition of grassroots groups that are helping to organize and promote Tea Parties all across the country. In fact, we've confirmed over 500 events in all 50 states and we're still growing. Hundreds of thousands of Americans of all political stripes will be hitting the streets to protest high taxes and fiscal irresponsibility.
Our goal must be to put a stop to the excessive debt, spending, and centralization of power by cynical politicians, and to put forth a clear and decisive alternative. We have a Tea Party right here in Payson on April 15th from 10:00 to 6:00pm in the county parking lot across from the Post Office and along Highway 87.

Get involved now and join us

Bernice Winandy 5 years ago

Chief, wish you all the luck with the tea party. There definitely should be one up in Pine!!!! I have already received a call urging me to send tea bags and I have also received a couple of e-mails. So the word is definitely out.

Chief, you should submit a public service announcement to KMOG. I heard a guy on the radio during trades and sales asking if there was going to be a tea Party in Payson. I was under the truck and couldn't get to a pen and paper to get the number.

Charlene Hunt 5 years ago

My question regarding the tea party is.... where is everyone supposed to park? The county complex is usually full on Wednesday's with court cases being held and other County business. Are people supposed to park at the post office, which is often crowded and difficult to get in and out of. The Sheriff's office already overflows as well. The only other option is Bonanza Square, Sawmill, or the banks,all of which I am sure the businesses in those complexes would not appreciate. I love and support the idea, just not the location.

Pat Johnson 5 years ago

I have a few questions regarding the Tea Party tomorrow: 1. Is there an agenda of events? 2. Who are the speakers, when are they scheduled to speak and where will they be located? 3. Will they be using a public address system? 4. Since this is an 8 hour event, are all attendees expected to stay for the duration? 5. If the media decides to cover this as a news event, what time should they be there? Who should they interview? Who is in charge? I've been asking these questions around town and not one person knows any of the answers. Can someone out there enlighten me? Thanks!

It looks like I'll be wearing my leather jacket. It's cold out there!

Tom Garrett 5 years ago

I don't know, guys. Any of you remember what happened after the last tea party?

1773: Tea Act gives the East India Company a monopoly on tea imports.

1773: Boston Tea Party

1774: Coercive Acts punish Massachusetts.

1774: Meeting of the First Continental Congress.

1775: Battles of Lexington and Concord.

1775: Boston occupied by British regulars. Harbor shut down. No food. Residents fleeing.

I don't know, guys. I don't want them Brits messing around with Payson. Could be they might close Walmart.

Chief Hinton 5 years ago

Dean I was there all day. We averaged about 30-45 people most of the day with many coming and going. We handed out a lot of information. This was not a thing to have fun and play games. Our Government or lack there of is more important than that. The news media came. We had hundreds of people driving by honking their horns in agreement. We had people from Snowflake, Christopher Creek and several people stoped who were travreling through stopped and wanted to carry a sign for a while because they said they wanted to perticipate and were traveling. Many people came up and because it was so cold and windy they wanted to show support but could not stay because of the weather. We did not have one person object to our knowledge. The news paper people I talked to said they could not believe how many people were honking their horns and cheering for the people that were out there holding up signs. One person that came by was your Bob Edwards who said he was impressed with the show of support. It was a real success inspite of the bad weather. Part of the day we had people from the corner at the Post office down to the corner of Main street. Pat sorry I did not get your requested information until I got back tonight.

Bill Knauss 5 years ago

I had the pleasure of attending the tea party yesterday. I spent about 6 ½ hours there but finally had to leave as I was chilled to the bone. The turnout was great and the response by people driving by was extremely positive. Out of the thousand or so audible and visual responses I observed, there were perhaps 6 or 7 negative ones; 2 birds flipped, two or three “thumbs down” a couple of “boo’s”.

I don’t know why there was even one who would reply that way. You think they would have done that in Boston in 1773?

I feel bad about leaving. I thought after I got home about those who came before me. They didn’t wimp out like I did complaining about the cold and aching back. I’ll do a lot more if we do this again on July 4th.

DON’T TAX ME BRO

Ruby Finney 5 years ago

It"s interesting to see the media reaction to the Tea Parties all over the country. Nancy'Pelosi's statement this morning that the whole thing was organized and paid for by money from the "far right" whatever that is, was laughable.

How much money and help did you get, Chief? And I'm sure it was all planned according to instructions from somewhere else? DUH.

The turnout all over the country was fantastic, but about the only reports to be reasonable complete are from Fox News which has been publicizing the event even though most media wouldn't touch it (and apparently are still refusing to admit it was a success.)

We had a surprising turnout up here - I estimate about 600 plus people from all walks of life came with signs and some in costume for a rally that lasted almost 2 hours - this in spite of the fact that no pre-publicity was given other than a small blurb on the inside pages of the newspaper and an interview with the organizer on local radio. We had groups from every walk of life - families with small children, teenagers, professional people, farmers and loggers just a real American hometown mix. And they were very orderly and well behaved but managed to make their feelings clear. They are mad and feel our government is not only too big, but is not representing the best interests if the country. The only rowdy part was the cheers and applause in agreeing with the 9 speakers. We did have good weather and started our meeting at 5:30 PM on the courthouse steps.

I really do feel that this is the "grass roots" beginning of a third party and sincerely hope it will continue to grow and flourish. No matter what party you currently belong to, all of us need to unite to take back control from the power brokers who are taking our country and its principles from us.

Keep up the good work and offer support to Chief Hinton in his leadership in getting this movement underway.

Chief Hinton 5 years ago

The newspaper printed the wrong date in the paper which did not help. KMOG dragged their feet about talking about the Tea Party. A couple of people called into Trades and Sales and ask about it and then one fellow called in and annouced the date and time on Trades and Sales. KMOG did make an annoucement yesterday morning that the date was wrong in the paper. We requested a public service announcement from the radio station and never heard one. At least the paper did run an item. We will do a better job getting this information published next year. The Gazette did show up at one of our planning meetings. I am sure we will have more of these including July 4th and maybe the anniversary of the original Tea Party on December 16th. The news papers had good coverage at the event and it is appreciated. We have to stay after this our country and children depend on us. Thanks Ruby

Pat Johnson 5 years ago

Chief, KMOG received a press release that said the event would be held on "Wednesday, April 15th, 2009 from 10:00 a.m. to 6 p.m. and again on TAX DAY" (sic). The press release was confusing and when I attempted to find out the correct information, I was unable to because the person who sent us the press release didn't put contact information on the release. I did put questions out on this blog, but never got a response. I was also told that June Dudley was in charge of this event and left a message on her phone that was never returned. If the original press release had simply had a contact name and phone number we could have read it every day, but unfortunately it did not. Normally, when we get a press release that does not have contact information, we discard it. In this case I tried to get the correct information because I wanted the event to succeed, but I failed.

Tom Garrett 5 years ago

Ruby,

"I really do feel that this is the “grass roots” beginning of a third party and sincerely hope it will continue to grow and flourish."

I doubt very much that it was the beginning of a third party, not that a third party wouldn't be a good thing.

"No matter what party you currently belong to, all of us need to unite to take back control from the power brokers who are taking our country and its principles from us."

It's interesting that we all say that, and our legislators say it, and presidential candidates say it, and the media says it, and I suppose any Martians lurking in the woodwork say it, but it never happens.

You want to know why that is?

For one thing, it's because no one ever talks about the part of Washington which is corrupt. You can't fight the enemy until you know who that enemy is.

And so, I thought I'd give anyone who is interested in doing it a chance to say, specifically, just what he or she thinks it is that's corrupt in Washington. Right now. Right here. On this blog.

So, folks, exactly where does the corruption lie? What is it that's corrupt?

Once we know that, we can talk about how to get rid of it.

Chief Hinton 5 years ago

Pat As you know I did not submit that release to you. However when you told me that here on the blog I sent you the right information here on the blog. I did not see the many questions you had yesterday because I was at the Tea Party and you sent it the night before and I was not on line. All we wanted was a public service annoucement that said we were ahving it the time and where. You had that information in plenty of time. June tried to call you several times at KMOG and said she got not response.

Chief Hinton 5 years ago

Tom you know very well what we the people are mad about but here goes: The time has come for Americans to rise in political solidarity on a historic scale to return the control of our government to We The People. The Tax Day Tea Party events being held in thousands of cities and towns across America hold the potential for the formation of a new political movement.

The source of America's problems will not be addressed by a hero or politician for everyone to adore, that is more of the problem. Work will not set us free, but self governance will. The answer to America's problems are to put We The People back in charge.

A recent Rasmussen poll indicated that over 75% of Americans believe that Washington, DC no longer represents We The People and our citizens feel that way because it is true.

We watch almost helplessly as Democrats and Republicans alike defile our Republic and the sacred principles and values that have made America the most advanced civilization in human history.

Today, most Americans are just barely hanging on as the economic ground beneath our feet falls away, our freedoms are abridged, and our security and prosperity are destroyed by elites in Washington who love wealth and power, more than their God or countrymen.

A broad coalition of Americans representing every race and political party are now ready to organize and take peaceful political steps to form a peaceful revolution to address this national crisis. It will take Americans of every walk of life turned into passionate political activists to overcome the dangers we now face.

For when the will of the majority of Americans is ignored by those in power, the very essence of what America has been celebrated for throughout recent history has been usurped.

The Tax Day Tea Party events are drawing in Americans who are very concerned about high taxes, runaway spending and trillions in generational debt, traditional values, gun rights, privacy rights, free speech, and the lack of immigration enforcement and border security in America.

Each of these issues represents a case where the vast majority of Americans agree that taxes should be low, spending and debt should be curtailed, American traditions and family values should be protected, American jobs should not be shipped overseas, and our borders should be secured and immigration laws enforced, yet the elites and radical elements from the left and right continue to pursue policies at odds with the vast majority of our citizens!

Chief Hinton 5 years ago

PART 2 Americans who reflect the minority views on these issues and those that do not share these positions in common must put differences aside and stand with the majority of their countrymen as one.

We must take to the streets in peaceful and orderly demonstrations and we must unify to throw every politician who stands against the will of the American majorities out of office in 2010! We cannot have another election where millions of dollars coming from the elite groups and companies that currently control Washington, more than our citizens, dominate and 96% of incumbents return to DC despite massive dissatisfaction levels. Kick them out now is the only thing they will understand.

Chief Hinton 5 years ago

Tom I might add that we are also just as mad about many of these things with the Counties and City governments. Not all of them are the same but many of them are just as bad about enforcing laws such as illegals, ( Sheriff Joe seems to be the only one enforcing immegration laws) taxes ((such as Payson taxing our food) They would hang you in Texas for taxing food. :) Or what about property taxes. The point is government of all kinds no longer listen to the people. Most politicians are the same in local Government or Federal. Once they are in office awhile they become interested in only themselves and if they are in local government or county they then want to move up to the federal level. On the Federal level we should give them 4 years and kick them out or set a trem limit of 8 years like the President. No not give them large pensions after one or two terms. The only way we can change anything is to let them know if they are not going to listen to the people they will not have a job.

Chief Hinton 5 years ago

Thank you and amen. We have got to protect SHeriff Joe

Tom Garrett 5 years ago

Amen on Sheriff Joe!

And Chief, I don't disagree with a word you said.

But as always happens whenever anyone starts talking about what's wrong with Washington, the shot fired goes wide of the mark.

Ask yourself this: Why would both parties, once in office, fall into the same patterns? Why wouldn't somebody, somewhere do something right?

Okay, instead of tantalizing everyone with questions, let me give you a solid, factual answer, pointing out exactly where the problem lies and what we have to do to fight the fight that needs to be fought.

The problem--there are two of them--are the house and senates rules.

You see, what happens is that we send people to Washington but they can't do what we want them to do because they are trapped within a set of rules that makes them powerless. The power lies in the hands of a chosen few.

Think about it for a minute: A representative writes a bill, perhaps with the collaboration of several of his fellow representatives.

Will that bill ever be voted on? Probably not. It will either die in committee, or never be put to the House for a vote. The rules allow a choice few to decide it's fate. That's corruption at its worst.

Will it be the same bill when it gets to the floor of the House? Probably not. The actual House rules call for outside influences (lobbyists) to look it over and see if they like it. If they don't like it, they change it.

You see? We have a government within a government.

Our Constitution tells the government what it can and cannot do, but the Constitution left out one major factor--how the two houses of Congress will run. With no legal guidelines to stop them from doing it, corrupt politicians have put in place their own crooked way of running things. Tit for tat. You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. Payoffs. Perks. Greed! Unbelieveable corruption. And all in writing, think of that!

Until we change those rules it doesn't matter who we send to Washington. They are trapped within a corrupt system.

So, it is the SYSTEM we have to attack, not the people in office.

But how do we do that? There are two possible ways. I'll talk about them in Part 2:

Tom Garrett 5 years ago

Part 2

One way to fight the corrupt operating rules of Congress would be to call a new Constitutional Convention and lay down an orderly set of operating rules, similar to Roberts Rules of Order, a set of rules that would ensure that the American people, in the form of their elected representatives, would get to vote on issues. It would take an amendment to the Constitution to lock those rules in place; otherwise the same kind of corruption would creep back in.

The other way would be to empower the people themselves to make laws. We have that here in Arizona--in the form of the initiative. Our founding fathers greatly feared true Democracy, which they called "majority rule." That's why they wrote a constitution; to prevent a majority in power from running the country as it pleased. But the result was that they took the power out of our hands and put it in the hands of those we elect. Nationally, we are powerless.

The federal government is so much against the initiative that it would not give Arizona statehood until it took the power of initiative (and recall and referendum) out of the proposed constitution. We put it back in after they made us a state. If we were able to get someone to run for President on a platform of an amendment which would grant the people the right of initiative, we might get it done. Or if we could somehow take the government to court, claiming that since "all other powers" are reserved to the people, and since the initiative is, by definition, a "power" we already have it. That might work. Who knows?

Later on today, when I have more time, I'll quote some things that Barry Goldwater had to say about how powerful men were elected President with intentions of changing things, but ran up against the system and were unable to get anything done.

Now you know where the cancer is. What we have to do is cut it out. Then "we the people" will be running the country again, not a set of corrupt rules that takes the power granted us by the Constitution out of our hands.

Tom Garrett 5 years ago

It's now nine hours after my last post.

Having looked through Barry Goldwater's writings I now realize that because his comments about the impossibility of changing Washington are spread over so many pages I can't tell you what he said without paraphrasing his words, and I don't want to do that.

Instead, I'll give you just a few short examples of things he has had to say, and I'll leave it up to you to read the rest.

In plain English, what I'm saying is I don't want to put words in Barry Goldwater's mouth. No matter how careful I might about being truthful and accurate, it just would not be right.

Instead, listen to some things he said about Dwight Eisenhower, an honest man if there ever was one. They make the point.

"Dwight D. Eisenhower never really grasped the political complexities of his office."

"He was ambitious to bring about reform--his political talent was unequal to the task."

"Ike's major concern was for the country. He detested the infighting, the manipulations, the intrigue of party politics."

As you read Goldwater you find that he is saddened and angered at the inability of more than one President to clean house.

And believe me, if you read "With No Apologies" you'll soon see just how difficult it is to change Washington from the inside.

On the other hand, a few things Barry said may ring a bell with you.

"History is the recital of the rise and fall of nations. In every case the climactic act has been preceded by internal failures, by a lessening of devotion to the principles and beliefs which created and sustained the rise to power and prominence." p294

"The root of the problem lies in the Congress of the United States--535 men and women who have been taught to believe that they are competent to control every aspect of our complicated, inventive society." p305

"Nowhere is it written that freedom must succumb to slavery. There is no inevitable historical imperative which says that we, who have known freedom, must now surrender our lives to governmental domination. We are being seduced by those who have no confidence in the ability of the American people to face reality." p306

"Single-interest political groupings--antiabortion, pro-abortion, ERA supporters--have demonstrated a capacity to effect the outcome of elections. Let us unite in a single-interest group determined to preserve freedom...." p306

I think that last paragraph says it all, don't you?

Let's do it!

Tom Garrett 5 years ago

It's 7:30 in the morning. Couldn't sleep all night. Been thinking about the way our country has been captured by ambitious men and women who want to run it the way they think it should be run. And been thinking about how wrong that is.

This subject is too important to be part of this string. It deserves a string of its own. Please go to "Let's take back our country!"

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.