I'm glad to see this happen.

Comments

Tom Garrett 1 year, 10 months ago

Well! Well!

So Sam Schwalm is to be on the board at PSWID.

Glad to see it. Sam has been asking some good questions. Now they will be answered for him because he'll be right there when the discussions take place.

There's no way that can hurt.

I liked the way Gary Levetro welcomed him too. That was big hearted of him. Looks like a new beginning.

Bernice Winandy 1 year, 10 months ago

Words and slaps on the back are easy. We will have to see actions to really know if there is any change. Does anyone recall the adage about change?

Kumbaya:

The title of the etymological folk song, used with varying degrees of sincerity or sarcasm to refer to the song's evocations of spiritual unity and interpersonal harmony.

"...sincerity or sarcasm..."

Take your choice, kiddies.

I'll wait and hope. Why? There's such a thing as self-fulfilling prophecy. :-)

Pat,

For some odd reason, your comment reminded me of a trip I made with Lolly in 1961, when we travelled from Karachi to New London, Connecticut, a distance of just under 8,000 air miles in three different aircraft. We had 13 bags, including a footlocker sized thing filled with the necessary aids for moving a six month old baby.

We flew from Karachi Civil to Dhahran, Saudi Arabia: 7 hours. We stayed overnight in Saudi Arabia, stopped in Egypt and Libya, and landed in Torrejon, Spain: 22 hours. We stayed overnight in Spain, stopped in the Azores and Bermuda, and landed in South Carolina: 16 hours. We took the train to New Jersey: four hours. Then we drove to New London: four hours.

In those days diapers were cloth. They had to be cleaned and washed. They could, of course, be thrown away if you could find a place to do it. Try to find one on an aircraft.

Formula had to be prepared. That took a large pot with a rack for bottles, the basic formula, safe water, and some way to boil the formula, then cool it, then keep it fresh, and then carry enough around last for days. We made formula in Spain in our little hotel room. We also boiled diapers, but not in the same pot.

After that came a trip across the country from Connecticut to California in our trusty 1956 Studebaker. Same routine--all the way. We were allowed 13 days. It took nine, but felt like 19.

We also traveled to Okinawa via Hawaii and Wake Island with our two kids, ages two and six months. Took 40 hours in the air and two overnight stops. By then there were throw away diapers and canned formula.

One way or another, we drove across the continent five times, and traveled overseas or back with our kids five times, but the last two times they were no longer babies.

Times have changed a bit, haven't they?

So has changing diapers, but I wish people would quit throwing them out car windows. They make a worse mess than a grasshopper when they hit the windshield. And camp grounds have become places where the Forest Service should provide free clothes pins.

Pat Randall 1 year, 10 months ago

Tom, Lolly really loves you or she would not have taken those trips. I can't even imagine it. I could never have made it as I hate to fly. Only done it five times. Once when I was a kid and they were giving free rides here in Payson. We took off and landed just east of McLane towards 87. Of course there was nothing in that area at the time. The others were to San Francisco for my husband to see drs.

OK, I think I have the adage. The one that kept on coming to mind was "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink." I knew that was wrong. I finally figured it out -- I had the wrong animal. "You can't teach an old dog new tricks." But, I think there must be a better one. I can remember taking driving trips with kids in diapers. Not fun!

Well, I am pleased that Sam is on the board. I hope the warm welcome has staying power. The board needs to work together as they have some very important decisions to make. The best decisions come from boards that are made up of people who respect each other and are willing to work together.

O yes Kumbaya. I ran into this word in a hymn we sang in the church I belonged to some 10-12 years ago. Some of the lines: Someone's singing, Lord, Kumbaya. Someone's praying, Lord, Kumbaya. I can't recall anymore right now. It has been a long time and I am currently pleased if I can remember why I came into my bedroom, or kitchen, or etc. Can't tell you how many times I have walked into a room with determination to do something important and then be perplexed about what it was I was supposed to do.

Pat Randall 1 year, 10 months ago

I have a hard time remembering names of people I have known all my life. I told my dr. the other day that every night I write my name on my forehead so I will know it in the morning.

Good one, Pat. I like to play cards. A joke we have is that soon we will have to keep a finger on the card we played to help us remember who played what!

By the way the words to the song "Kumbaya" can be found at Wikipedia if you are interested.

" have walked into a room with determination to do something important and then be perplexed about what it was I was supposed to do."

Yay! I'm not the only one!

Pat, forehead is NG. Can't see it except in the mirror and then mine would read MOT. Try your left wrist. Works better.

AYABMUK.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.