Can you imagine yourself doing something like this?

Comments

Tom Garrett 1 year, 6 months ago

David Villalobos was on a overhead monorail ride around Bronx Zoo. As the monorail passed a tiger den he suddenly made a 17 foot leap out of into it.

Landing on all fours, he cleared two sets of fences, one of them an electric fence on his way into a tiger den.

The tiger, of course, attacked him, and then grabbed him by one ankle and dragged him off. Actually, he was lucky because tigers typically grab prey by the back of its neck and crush the spine.

Zoo workers responded very well to what must have been one hell of shock. They used powerful fire hoses to distract Bachuta, an approximately 11-year-old, 400-pound, male Siberian tiger.

Then the emergency response team went in and used a CO2 fire extinguisher to move the tiger away from the...uh, idiot.

Once the tiger backed off, the...uh, idiot was instructed to roll under a hot electrical wire to safety. Fortunately, he was able to manage it. The keepers were then able to call the tiger into its off-exhibit holding area and safely secure it.

The...uh, idiot's condition has now been upgraded to "stable," but he remains in the hospital with bite wounds on his arms, legs, shoulders and back, as well as a broken arm and ankle, a broken right shoulder, broken rib, collapsed lung, and broken pelvis.

The...uh, idiot has made six comments; I'll intersperse a couple of mine:

a. He was not drunk. (Why not? Bad for your health?)

b. He is not insane. (I'll wait for confirmation of that.)

c. He was not try to commit suicide.

d. "Everyone in life makes choices."

e. All he wanted to do was to "become one with the tiger."

f. He got to pet the tiger while he was being dragged off by his ankle.

The...uh, idiot did not clarify his statement to make it clear whether or not being part of the tiger's daily food ration would have sufficed to satisfy his need to " become one with the tiger."

What? Nobody wants to jump into the tiger enclosure and hug a tiger?

Hey! It's only 17 feet down.

Go ahead. Do a Nike. If it feels good, do it!

On a slightly more serious note, if you were going to charge this guy with anything, what would it be?

I'll give you some things to think about:

a. Would it be worthwhile using* the time and money it would cost to prosecute him?

b. Is there any punishment more appropriate than "...bite wounds on his arms, legs, shoulders and back, as well as a broken arm and ankle, a broken right shoulder, broken rib, collapsed lung, and broken pelvis?"

c. Do you think it will take a prison sentence to convince him not to do it again?

d. Considering what he did (and perhaps some of the comments he made on You Tube) do you think he is "mentally sound?" And if he isn't should he be punished at all? . . * I'm still learning to avoid bias as much as possible. I first typed "...wasting the time and money," but I erased it and entered "using." Just as an aside, how much do you think things like that affect people hearing or reading something?

Should he be charged the costs of his rescue? And any medical costs? And the costs of any damage he did?

Pat Randall 1 year, 6 months ago

He should have to pay all expenses for medical and any damage he did. He was trespassing. I would never jump but can think of some people I might like to push in there. (:

It's always a question when someone has to be rescued because of something he did. As, for example, the number of people who get lost in the woods and have to be retrieved. I always feel we have to forgive people for making mistakes that are based on something they don't know, or some error of judgment. But for something as deliberate and intentional as this I agree with Pat, don't you?

Maybe if he has to pay the costs he'll think about doing it again. And maybe some others who are thinking of doing something equally outrageous might think too.

Or would they? I wonder? Do people like that really think?

I'm so completely different from people like that I really don't know.

frederick franz 1 year, 6 months ago

Our gene pool would be incomplete if it didn't provide an idiot once in a while!

Right, Fred. Someone has to be on the trailing edge of that bell curve.

Of course, there's something to be said for purifying the gene pool. :-)

Also, since tigers are expensive to house and feed because they are flesh eaters and eat a lot of raw meat, and since doing what the man did would probably be called "free speech" by the ACLU, and since it is always hard for zoos to find new and innovative attractions, we might think about....

I'll bet it would draw quite a crowd.

"And now ladies and gentlemen, if you will turn your attention to the chartreuse high platform just above the line of puce rocks which spell out "One With The Tiger," you will make the acquaintance of...."

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.