Should we approve them if they don't approve us?

Comments

Tom Garrett 1 year, 10 months ago

Two out-of-state attorneys have filed suit in U.S. District Court to void Arizona Supreme Court rules which place limits on the ability of some out-of-state lawyers to practice here.

What do they want? They want a ruling that once someone is certified to practice law in one state, that right is automatically transferred to all other states.

What limits does Arizona place on lawyers from out of state? Simple. Lawyers from states that let Arizona attorneys practice there without additional testing requirements can, in turn, practice here provided they meet the obvious and necessary requirement that they have a background check, are fingerprinted, have practiced for five out of the last seven years, and take a one-day crash course on Arizona rules and laws.

Attorneys from non-reciprocity states have to take the full-blown, two-day Bar examination.

So I'll ask it again.

Should we approve us when they don't approve us?

I have a better question: Where does a federal court get the authority to rule on what is obviously a state issue?

If the out-of-state lawyers were to win, by the way, the Arizona State Bar Association would have only very limited ability to discipline out-of-state attorneys who are guilty of unethical practices.

John Phelps, president of the State Bar of Arizona, says, "The concern is that the public really has nobody to go to when they have a bad experience with a California attorney who happens to be practicing in Arizona.''

You may be interested to know, by the way, that State Bar of California is supporting a bid by an illegal immigrant to be able to practice law there.

John Phelps finds that somewhat humorous. "They'd rather admit an illegal alien than a U.S. citizen from Arizona,'' he said. "How does that work?''

Pat Randall 1 year, 10 months ago

Remember the man that went to prison for a long time, studied law, was released, passed the bar and practiced law? Not sure but think it was in Ariz.

Bernice Winandy 1 year, 10 months ago

Because state laws are different from state to state, I believe that out of state attorneys should have to take a course in Arizona law and pass a test.

By the way years ago, when I applied for a teachers' certificate (having in one in Illinois) I was told that Arizona does not have reciprocity with any state in the union. The person at the State certficate office seemed very proud of this fact, and repeated it to me several times. He then told me what I had to do to qualify.

Pat,

Believe it or not, they all study law in there. We provide very good law libraries to prisons. And some of them learn a lot--at least enough to make a lot of trouble.

As for the guy you're talking about, I think he wasn't listening when his high school counselor was talking. He got it backward. You're supposed to study law, pass the bar exam, and then become a crook--not the other way around. :-)

The person at the State certificate office had it wrong, but what else is new? All you have to do to transfer your certificate to Arizona, provided you were applying to teach in the same subject area and had been teaching for at least three years, was to "either complete the required classes or pass a satisfactory examination on the provisions and principles of the Constitutions of the United States and Arizona."

"The person at the State certficate office..." was a horse's patootie.

As for lawyers, I think Arizona law is proper and correct. It's just about that same as it is for teachers: If you know your job, fine. All you have to do is learn a little about the differences between your home state and Arizona. How could there be anything wrong with that?

And I repeat--because I don't like the type--"The person at the State certficate office..." was a horse's patootie.

Pat Randall 1 year, 10 months ago

;Give some one a little power and all h--- breaks loose.

That's really true, isn't it?

You can go into some offices and get treated like a king, but in some places you get treated like a piece of garbage. There seem to be some people who can only feel better about themselves by making others look bad.

Odd too, you know it. It usually works the other way around. Instead of making thinking think a lot of you, you just make them hate you when you act that way.

I wonder? Do those people have some kind of mental shield that keeps them from seeing that they are doing to themselves?

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.