A moment to which we can all relate.

Comments

Tom Garrett 1 year, 6 months ago

I get e-mail from a number of direct sources. One of them is the White House, which I've been hearing from long before our current President entered it. But I virtually never put up anything from one of those sources because of the partisan views it might contain.

Here's something worthy of being an exception:

"Every White House has the privilege of hosting some world class athletes. Every President gets an opportunity to welcome Super Bowl champions, winners of the NBA Finals, and other professional and collegiate athletes at the top of their games."

"But every once in a while, the White House hosts a group of champions who represent us all--Team USA."

"Last week, more than 400 Olympians and Paralympians gathered at the White House for an event to celebrate their success in this year's London Games."

"We also sat down with one extraordinary athlete-- Lieutenant Brad Snyder--as he met with First Lady Michelle Obama."

"Lieutenant Snyder is a veteran of the U.S. Navy. Exactly one year after he was blinded by an improvised explosive device while on duty in Afghanistan, he won gold in the 400-meter freestyle in the London Paralympics, finishing nearly six seconds ahead of the next closest competitor."

I think every President is aware of what it can mean in terms of lost or shattered lives when he gives a military order. I am reading about President George W. Bush at the moment and have come across the place where he first realized what it meant when he ordered the troops into the middle east to get the Iraqis out of Kuwait. It was obvious he cared--that he cared a lot. He is a good man.

I wouldn't want to be the one who had to give those orders, and I'm glad that at times the men and women who give them see something that takes away a little of the pain of doing it.

Tom Garrett 1 year, 6 months ago

Blinded.

I thank God for His mercy that blindness is something I have never had to face. I can't imagine a life without sight. There are too many beautiful things in this world that cry out to us to see them.

I'm reading another biography of Eisenhower. In it, just yesterday, I read "In the final choice a soldier's pack is not so heavy a burden as a prisoner's chains." --Dwight D. Eisenhower

Easy to say. Not so easy to do.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.