Defense against political robo-calls.

Comments

Tom Garrett 1 year, 6 months ago

Two things:

One. I have decided that the first candidate who says that he is going to outlaw political telephone robocalls gets my vote. I don't care if they dig up Joe Stalin, wrap him in the hammer and sickle and run him on the Red ticket.

Two. Want some fun? Next time your phone rings and you're fairly sure it's a someone you don;t want to hear from, do this: Pick up the handset, walk over to another phone with a handset, make sure they are both turned on, place the mouthpiece of handset A against the earpiece of handset B, and vice versa. Enjoy the loud squeal of feedback while saying a little prayer that it will overload the computer on the other end and destroy it. Or if it's a live tele-marketer that it will deafen him.

Shades of the 1930's!

See how nice it is to live 80 years?

You remember all kinds of dirty, rotten tricks.

You don't have to wait for a call to try it out. Just take any two handsets and put them together while they're turned on.

Enjoy!

Pat Randall 1 year, 6 months ago

I have had five of those damn calls today. Twice the message shut off as I answered the phone. Lets get them out lawed. If a live person can't call then don't bother. You can't get any satisfaction cussing a recorded message.

This week I have had seven recorded messages saying they have been informed by the FBI that there have been several crimes in my area and want to GIVE me a security system if I will let them put signs on my house that I have a security system. If I don't want them to call me press 3 on my telephone. It doesn't work. they call the next day. If you call back on the caller ID number you never get a live person or if you do and say anything about not wanting calls they hang up on you. Or I get calls someone is doing some kind of research and would like to ask a few questions. They are recorded to.

Tom Garrett 1 year, 6 months ago

Pat, what you did--pressing a key on your phone--was a mistake. They use tactics like that to check to see if you actually listen to the message. Once they find out that you listened they call even more often, and they sell your number to other scammers.

It is also a mistake to call any number they give you. Same reason.

First of all, you should go here (if you haven't already done it) and register with the National Do Not Call Center:

https://www.donotcall.gov/

Just click on the Register Now button.

After you register you can report any violation and the feds will look into it. Save this link. If you get a caller ID number AFTER you have registered, click on the link or just enter it in the address box of your browser. Then enter your complaint.

https://complaints.donotcall.gov/complaint/complaintcheck.aspx?panel=2

And try my new system with the two handsets. It has the potential of damaging sensitive electronic equipment by overloading it, and even if it doesn't it's easy to do and fun.

And you are right. Political robocalls should be outlawed. We need to start pushing that with Congress. The exemption made for politics is being badly abused.

Tom. I have been on the do not call for years. It doesn't help with the politicians and research calls. I did call and they gave me all kinds of information what I had to do. Don't have the patience.
Or you are supposed to be able to hit the pound key 5 or 6 times and it does something to disable the phone calls. That doesn't work either. Some of them tell you if you don't want to be called push a certain number and will be taken off the list. HA Unlisted numbers don't work either as the calls are dialed in sequence. I am a magnet for all the idiot solicitors. My daughter and I have both have had calls on our cell phones, and I am very careful who I give that number to.

Pam Mason 1 year, 6 months ago

The "do not call list" is often ignored. I've received calls from various organizations with some bright spark trying to get around the system. Should I answer I have no hesitation in telling them immediately that I am on a do not call list and I hang up. The other day I got one from some reverse mortgage company (their name showed up on my TV screen) and although I know hitting the pound key does not seem to work I hit it furiously, followed up by my blowing on a wooden train whistle down the receiver! It probably did no good but I felt better :-)

As for the Political robocalls calls I would vote for Mickey Mouse if it meant that they would stop. Actually my day is spent ignoring the phone or laying it down on my kitchen counter whereby a loud screeching noise is emitted. I leave it for several minutes until I hear the tone come back.

Most of the calls are pre recorded, automatic dialing and no one is at the other end. That is what frustrates me.

Bernice Winandy 1 year, 5 months ago

I think the "do not call" list was for a limited time. I do not know how to re register. Can anyone help?

I am tired of all the campaign calls, i am tired of all the campaign ads. I feel that the campaign has gotten very nasty with all the extremely negative ads. What does a negative ad accomplish? Why don't the candidates concentrate on what good they can do and contribute?

According to the negative ads, no one seems to have good points, they all seem bad.

Pat Johnson 1 year, 5 months ago

I guess I'm different from some of you posting here. The robo calls don't really bother me much. In fact, I find the questions they ask interesting. When I get a live person on the phone, I remind myself that everyone has to earn a living and the person calling may very well have been out of work and took a job like that out of desperation. But the calls that make me crazy mad are the Arizona companies that use out-of-state marketing companies to do their dirty work. Last weekend I had a call from a marketing firm and the caller wanted to know how satisfied I was with my service from Arizona Public Service. I was ready to answer their questions, but as the call progressed, the questions were so inane that I almost hung up. Two of the most idiotic questions were: "Does APS sell you "good" electricity or "bad" electricity?" The other was: "If a friend or relative moved in to your neighborhood, who would you advise them to purchase their electric power from?" When I answered "Ed's Power and Light", the caller asked me to clarify the spelling! This marketing firm was in Michigan. Then on Monday, here at my office, a call from a solicitor selling ads in a directory that listed assisted living facilities and nursing homes. When I asked how many facilities in Payson were advertising in their publicitation, the gentleman on the phone asked "Is Payson spelled with a "P?". He was calling from Florida. That did it for me. If a business makes their living in Arizona and they don't use an Arizona company for their marketing, they'd better not call ME!

Tom Garrett 1 year, 5 months ago

Pam,

Amen!

It is so simple. If we had an opt-in law, then you would only get calls from places to which you opted-in, and you would only have to worry about features that you ASKED for.

For example take Caller ID. Why should some business get my phone number if I call it? If I want some business to have my number I'll give it to them. There are lots of places i would give it to, but the choice should be mine.

And don't think that having an unlisted number protects you. The phone company has things set up this way: If you use a 1-800 number then your phone number displays on the their machine. Why? The phone company says, "Well, they paid for the phone call, not you." My comment? What's that got to do with anything?

Pat, thanks for all that! You got a smile out of me, and that felt good. As for political robocalls, I'd be fine with it if they were an opt-in choice. If you want to hear that your party is saying, opt-into their calls.

You hit one of my buttons with out-of-state and out-of-country calls. A friend of mine who is not computer literate bought a smart phone. She asked me if I could help her set it up. I said sure, but only if I knew how to do it. She handed me the manual. Forget it! The minute I started to to look at it I knew it was going to be a bust.

a. No alphabetical index in the back. b. No page showing the icons used and what they meant. c. Explanations only showed how to do specific thing at a time. No general information. And instructions were written using the icons that had not been explained. d. Written by someone who does not speak English as his native language. What happens when that is true is that instructions are direct translations from another language, not idiomatic English. The instructions would say things like, "To (unknown icon) accept the (another unknown icon) without left twist or right dip." The way I figure it, if a company doesn't want to pay an American to write its manuals for use by Americans, they can sell their stuff in their own country.

And when I looked at the "have-to-set-it-up" problem, the only thing that "had to be" set-up was...ta! ta!...Google, of course. The company had made a deal with Google to put up some of Google's "aps. If you went to any of three icons in the expanded menu--a Map icon, an E-mail icon, or the Android Market icon--the program would try to suck you into registering with Google to get the feature. If you do that, of course, you agree to let Google collect, use, and sell your private information. I went to the main menu and checked. Sure as heck I found Yahoo and other search engines. I went to yahoo, accessed Duck Duck Go and showed her how to surf the web from there. No registering. No contracts. No one tracking you or collecting your information. Want a map? No problem? Just make sure it isn't Google Maps. Want to buy something? Enter the name of a reliable American company.

Pretty little phone, I must say. Nice machine. Fast. And you can get on the net for nothing more than your regular phone bill. It was bluetooth enabled, so I showed her how she could go out, find a keyboard and mouse if she wanted them (for home use), and where to go to get a free e-mail account that doesn't collect data.

The trouble with this world is that there are too many people trying to sell us things who do not stay within the limits of fair business practices.

Bernice Winandy 1 year, 5 months ago

Some people are out to make a buck anyway they can.

Recently I was in a discussion with an individual regarding the exporting of USA jobs. The person insisted that the export of jobs was OK because USA workers insist upon getting wages that are too high. I tried to point out the importance of a living wage and that people needed a certain amount of income in order to buy things. Afterall didn't Henry Ford (no friend of the working class as I understand it) say that he had to pay his workers enough so that they could afford to purchase his cars?

The last paragraph is way off topic. But I was really _)(&(& off by the person's remarks also because she attacked the USA worker as being inept.

Hope I can cool down soon.

Bernice,

That's recent propaganda being spread by corporate America. You were right to get angry. This is one nation. It NOT the people versus business. Businesses are only as good as those who run them and those who produce the goods or services. It is a cooperative enterprise. America is built on free enterprise. In a very real sense it is what we fought for during the Revolution.

Sending jobs out of the country is a way of maximizing profits to put more in the pockets of people who already have too much. And spreading propaganda about the quality of American workers is just a way of justifying greed. It is also a blatant attempt to turn the people of this nation into two groups which fight each other as a way of turning attention away from the real problem--which again, is simple greed.

You may remember the old expression (which is actually a misquote) that what is good for GM is good for America. (What was actually said was that what is good for America is good for GM is good for America, and vice versa.) In its original form it is unquestionably true.

This is one nation, not a nation of the rich and the poor. We stand or fall as one nation, and each of us has to take an objective view of what is good for ALL, not for any one group.

That is one reason why you hear both parties constantly talking about "small business." Some of them are trying to get people thinking that business is "good" by using the small business tag. Some of them are trying to use the small business tag to include the poor. In the end, it is all propaganda. Show me a business that can operate without someone at the top AND someone at the bottom and I'll show you a baseball pitcher who can win without a head or hands.

This nation, as a whole, earns far more than we need to be happy and well off. What is true right now is that we are spending a lot of money on national defense because of the world situation. If we didn't have to do that we would have a well balanced budget. I am NOT advocating that we stop doing it, just pointing at the real problem instead of making excuses for why money is getting tighter.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.