Should we intervene in Syria?

Comments

Tom Garrett 1 year, 10 months ago

I've stayed away from this question for months now. Why? It seemed like an internal problem.

But now it is becoming another Bosnia, a place where 30,000 people have died as a repressive government fights to keep its heel on the neck of its people.

Even usually neutral countries in the area are now calling for some kind of direct intervention from the outside. Turkey's foreign minister has just spoken up about the situation in Syria.

"How long can this situation continue?" he asked. "How can we stay idle?"

He went on to say that Turkey had been deeply involved in the diplomatic effort to bring the conflict to a peaceful resolution.

"But there should be a much more concerted effort by the international community," he added. "The best way we can see now is direct humanitarian intervention."

The conflict between rebels and the regime of President Bashar Assad has raged for more than a year and a half. A Muslim holy time is coming up. Turkey and other states are calling for a cease fire during the holy days.

Should we get more involved?

Bernice Winandy 1 year, 9 months ago

After our experience in Iraq and Afganistan, I think we are all wary of getting involved in another war in the Mideast. At the same time many innocent people are suffering. There is simply no easy answer to your question.

Pat Randall 1 year, 9 months ago

Why are we called on to save other countries. When do they help us? There are innocent people suffering here.

Tom Garrett 1 year, 9 months ago

The reason I ask the question is because I see four factors rarely seen. One, what is happening is a genuine uprising of a people against a government they do not want. Two, there is support for the uprising right throughout the world. Three, the neighbors of Syria are ready and willing to help. Four, the people are not far from winning.

What that means is that if there were to be an intervention it would be a U.N. intervention, supported both from inside and outside the government, and it should not be difficult to get the job done. Under those circumstances I think it is a good thing, a worthwhile thing, to help people fighting for their freedom to achieve it.

A lot of us don't like our government. if we started an uprising would anyone help us?

Shall we start small with Payson or go for the whole country?

Tom Garrett 1 year, 9 months ago

I'd say start with New York City. First step: Drop kick his honor the mayorking into the Hudson river and call it the New York Tea Party.

Oh, and tie a lump of gold to him worth as much as his billions to make sure he doesn't come back up.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.