A word of caution about e-mail.

Comments

Tom Garrett 1 year, 6 months ago

You probably don't need this, but here it is anyway.

Occasionally, I get an e-mail from someplace that may or may not be "Linked-In." It always says that someone I have never heard of would like me to be part of his group on Linked-In. It also has a button to click on to show that I know whoever it was that sent me the e-mail.

Such things are quite legitimate when the person named is someone you know, but if he or she isn't someone you know it seems highly unlikely that he or she would want you to be part of his or her group. And a really good question is how he or she got your e-mail address.

My advice. Delete the e-mail without clicking on it in any way.

Do not send a reply saying you do not know the person. Do nothing except to delete the e-mail.

Tom Garrett 1 year, 6 months ago

It is amazing how some people use anything in the universe as a means of making money.

Although I do not believe that schools can solve the problems of the community around them (something people often try to use the schools to do), I do believe that we have a genuine need for there to be an effort to use our schools to teach more ethics as well as more about the meaning of the Constitution and its legal and moral implications. That will not stop the greedy from being greedy, but it may cut the number of people who fall for the glittering generalities which often divide the nation and turn large numbers of people into political lemmings.

Tom Garrett 1 year, 5 months ago

Thanks, John.

Since you're so deeply concerned about education, you might enjoy the two quotes I used in my methods classes. They both come from writers.

The first one comes from G. K. Chesterton, one of my favorite authors when I was young. I think it says so very, very much.

"Education is simply the soul of a society as it passes from one generation to another."

The second was one I used in my summation of the course. I had done my best to prepare men and women to teach, but I always added a final 15 minutes about the non-teaching portion of their jobs, something to warn them about what was coming when they actually got on the job. In light of our current election, I think it fits. (And please do not split a gut as you read it. We need you.)

"In the first place, God made idiots. That was for practice. Then he made school boards."

Mark Twain

If I had to pick a third quote it would be one that I used when I first started teaching the course.

"Education is the key to unlock the golden door of freedom."

George Washington Carver

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.