Here's a halloween chuckle for you.

Comments

Tom Garrett 1 year, 5 months ago

Halloween 1962. Hill AFB, Utah. The base housing area. The housing consisted of long, two story, apartment buildings, winding in and out in a U-shape with a grassy area in the middle. So, each U was 24 apartments and there were a LOT of U's.

Like this (but a LOT more):

|| || || || || || || || || || || || || || || ||

Since we were all young, you can imagine how many kids there were. Hill AFB had about 18,000 men on it, and the housing area was for both enlisted and commissioned. There may have been as many as 2,500 kids in the housing area.

Now, picture an unbroken line of kids coming to your door--every kid in every apartment in the whole housing area going trick or treating.

We had a bushel basket filled with candy. Lolly sat at the door handing stuff out without ever looking up. That went on for three hours.

Okay. Halloween 1962 we lived through.

But the next year, 1963, we had the candy but could not put it out for the kids. Lolly was pregnant--and ready to pop any second. She was having labor pains, and we were just waiting for them to get close enough so we could go to the base hospital.

We turned off the lights in the living room and sat watching TV in the dark. We could hear the kids tramping by, hundreds and hundreds of them.

Then I heard a tiny little creak. I looked and saw that the brass mail slot cover had been hinged inward by a small hand.

A small voice said, "Hey! There's people in there!"

As the slot clicked closed, I jumped up out of my chair with a small black velvet armrest cover in my hand. I snatched two thumbtacks out of the drawer of the side table, zipped to the door, and thumbtacked the armrest cover over the mail slot.

An instant later, we heard the mail slot creak open again....

"I'm tellin ya, there wuz people in there!"

"Oh, yer nuts, Charlie. Quit yer kidding. There ain't nobody in there."

"Yes, there wuz!"

"C'mon, let's go."

All they could see was the black velvet.

Lolly went to the hospital at 10 pm that night--Oct 31.

Francis was born on November 2, 1963--after 42 hours of labor.

NOW we laugh about it.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.