World's shortest three month suspension.

Comments

Tom Garrett 2 years, 1 month ago

Let me preface all this by saying I had never heard of:

a. AIBA b. USAB c. Hal Adonis. d. CHF 2,000

What that proves, I think, is how easy it is for us to be totally ignorant of things that may mean a great deal to others.

A few days ago I read a story on Fox News.

Headline: "Amateur boxing in the United States suspended for three months."

It said that (a) AIBA, angry at, (b) USAB for not getting rid of, (c) Hal Adonis had "...suspended all amateur boxing activities in the United States for three months." And that AIBA had fined Hal Adonis CHF 2,000.

I had no idea what that was al about.

I checked. It seems that, (a) AIBA was angry with, (b) USAB because of "inappropriate and improper statements made by, (c) Hal Adonis earlier this year."

I still had no idea what it was all about.

Today, having at last found time to look it up, I found that....

(a) AIBA, had withdrawn its suspension of, (b) USAB in just 24 hours because it had dumped, (c) Hal Adonis.

Figuring this involved sports, I went to ESPN to find out what the hay it was all about.

Filling in my ignorance, I found that:

a. AIBA is the International Federation for Boxing.

b. USAB is USA Boxing (amateur).

c. Hal Adonis, used to be, but now isn't, President of the USAB board, nor is he any longer a member of the board.

Comments by Hal Adonis:

1. Speaking for USBA to a reporter for New Yorker Magazine, Hal Adonis said (of female boxers), "Half of our girls have been molested, half of our girls are gay."

2. He added, speaking of all boxers, “When kids call me up, I say: 'Let me ask you an honest question: have your parents ever hit you?' If they say no, I say: 'I don't think you belong in boxing'."

3. Adonis, a former trainer, also has commented on how to prepare boxers for a fight. “Before a fight I'd start smacking them real hard in the face. Because you feel, in boxing, the first couple of punches. After that, the endorphins kick in and it's like someone gave you novocaine."

AIBA took offense at those comments.

d. In the "ISO 4217 currency code" (whatever the hell that is) CHF 2,000 is two thousand Swiss francs, or $1,633.72

You should have seen the anger out there at Mister Adonis about all this.

Oh, well. All's well that ends well, I guess.

But I wonder...?

How many times do we (me) just brush off some story because we know nothing about it? It can be very easy to ignore something that might mean a lot to someone else.

Another learning experience.

frederick franz 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm guilty! I won't pay much attention to anything to do with amateur, or commercial sports.

I did, however, pay attention the the news about "Frankenstorm". Now, that news did affect a bunch of people. I didn't notice a lot of alphabet soup which I would need to decode.

When I first read that word "frankenstorm" I had an image in my mind of it raining Frankenstein monsters. I get that kind of thinking from an old cartoon that some people may remember. I have forgotten its name (may have been Colonel Hoople, but I don't think so). Every once in a while the person who wrote it would draw what people might be thinking when he listened to a baseball game on the radio.

He would, for example, say, "There goes a liner toward second base," and he'd draw an ocean liner.

He would use all the usual baseball terms and draw a lot of crazy pictures. Unfortunately, I can't remember them, but they were very funny at the time. Maybe some one with a better memory does?

Anyway, I was struck by the fact that here was something that some people were all up in arms about and I had never even heard about the subject, much less the controversy. It just shows that we have to be careful about what we brush off as unimportant. What may be unimportant to me, could mean a lot to someone else.

Pat Randall 2 years, 1 month ago

Anyone that chooses to be a boxer is nuts. Why get into a small space and get pounded on the head and body and end up like Ali or Cassius Clay as some people remember him. Now his daughter is a boxer. I know Tom, that has nothing to do with your post, just another one of my brilliant opinions. (:

frederick franz 2 years, 1 month ago

Pat,

I feel that your comments add a shot of wisdom to the forum. Keep up the good retorts!

Pat,

I don't know why people do what they do. We're all different. I've never known anyone who became a boxer, so I can't say a thing about it. On the other hand, I suppose it seems exciting for some people while they're young, and that's where it all starts. You get involved and pretty soon....

In the YMCA I used to go to as a kid in New London they set up a ring one day and had all of us take a shot at boxing. They didn't ask us if we wanted to, just got us stripped down to pants and shoes, put gloves on us, and set us on each other. I just went along with it. I was 13, an 8th grader.

There was this tough kid from another part of town who got matched up with me. He was a couple of inches taller and probably outweighed me by fifteen or twenty pounds. He kept banging his gloves together and eyeballing me as we waited our turn in the ring, which was just mats laid out on the basketball court inside ropes on stanchions.

Don't ask me what I was feeling at that moment. I don't know. I have never been either combative, or much worried about anything. I was always the sort that let things come as they may.

Finally, our turn arrived. Into the ring we went, sitting on little stools. Bong! The kid came charging out and took a few swings at me. I threw one punch. It hit him square in the middle of his face and put him on his fanny.

I have never before or since seen anyone quite so amazed. He looked like he could not believe what had happened. He got up after a minute or two, but would not box any more.

That was my one and only time with gloves on.

In New York City, of course, there had been many days when I had to fight my way to and from school, which was about half a mile from home. I hated it. Without wanting to brag, I can honestly say I never lost one of those fights, or one in my own neighborhood either. I couldn't, I was small and light and to have lost even once would have made me a target for bullying. Kids tried me out, but after they found out they either had to kill me or give up they just let me be.

The only tough thing in New York was when I moved to a new neighborhood and had to prove myself all over again. Wasn't too bad though. I got lucky. The neighborhood bully picked a fight with me and got beaten, so only one other kid ever tried it. The thing is, you see, once everybody knows who can beat up who, peace reigns.

I spent weeks dreaming about having to fight a whole new town when I found out we were moving to Connecticut. When I got to New London and found out that kids did not fight all the time I was as happy as a pig in s--t. I made up my mind I would never raise a hand to anyone again. I never have.

Except in that ring, of course. But with those gloves on I don't thing you could squash an ant if you hit it all day.

To me, fighting proves nothing unless you are fighting to defend something or someone. As a way of winning an argument it is just plain stupid--to me at least. What makes you right just because you can out-punch someone?

Doesn't mean that I look down on boxing as a sport. My attitude is simple. Let people be what they want to be, and do what they want to do, as long as it doesn't interfere with me or mine.

I think I may be a Libertarian at heart, except for the fact that I've never been quite sure what a Libertarian is. :-)

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.