Happy Halloween.

Comments

Tom Garrett 2 years, 1 month ago

About an hour and a half ago I learned something new about myself. That is so unusual for an old guy of 80 years that I thought I'd pass it on, hence this string.

I love trick-or-treaters.

Well, maybe not all of them. The older ones I like. But the youngest ones, like that little doll of an angel, dressed like an angel and standing quietly and hopefully at the back of the pack of about 7 or 8 kiddos who came to my door from the one and only car that stopped at the house tonight? Love is the only word that fits. It fits all the young ones. I never realized I loved kids as much as I do. I suppose you don't see them much as you get older, and so you forget, but the feeling was certainly familiar and I remember it well from when my own kids were young.

God bless kids! God bless their innocence, and their smiles, and their excitement when you decide to give them the whole bag of candy, not being able to avoid enjoying seeing what their faces will look like if you do.

It's a great world. As long as we don't spoil it, it always will be.

After I gave away all the candy I had, my son David asked me, "What will you do if some more kids show up?

What indeed? I thought about that and found three options:

One was to give them the bags of candy I have around here for myself and Lolly. Of course, there aren't many, and they don't have individually wrapped candies, so it would have had to be one kiddo, one bag. Fair enough. Why not make some little angel really happy? How could that hurt anything? What an easy way to make the world a little brighter.

Another one was to give out dollars bills as long as they lasted and apologize for running out of candy. That would work, though it wouldn't be as much fun.

Ah, but the third one, I think, would have been good. I dump my change in a tray whenever I have any. Then I dump the tray in a box. The box now weighs about fifteen pounds. I think if I said the same thing I said when I brought out that big bag of candy, "Help yourself. Don't be shy. Make sure you get enough," that would be a lot of fun for the kids, and for me too. Money has a certain ambiance, know what I mean? And coins are a lot shinier than bills. I'd have to get all the pennies out of the box, though. Who gets excited about pennies?

Nobody came though. It's now past 9:15 so I'm sure nobody will.

Next year. Next year I had better buy five or six bags of candy. Or maybe eight.

It'll be a lot of fun.

Thanks for reading this.

God bless,

Tom

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.