Is there some hidden truth in these three comments on domestic violence?

Comments

Tom Garrett 2 years, 1 month ago

Three comments, made one right after the other, in Tuesday's report of domestic violence are really intriguing. They seem filled with meaning, but for the life of me I just can't seem to get a handle on what that meaning is.

"[Payson Police Chief] Engler said a troubling trend is the number of times police get called to the same address. In half a year, nine addresses accounted for more than 21 percent of calls."

"At some homes, police responded nearly every month."

"Often the abuse continues because the victim refuses to cooperate with the investigation, he said."

Those three comments are saying something. There's something there, something important, but I just can't put my finger on it.

Maybe you can.

Pat Randall 2 years, 1 month ago

The so called victim is either afraid not to go back, or starts the violence and feels she deserves it, or does not want to try and support herself. Sometimes the person who is doing the violence threatens the other person they will kill someone in thier family if they testify. After the 3rd call, she should spend time in jail until she decides to testify. I thought both parties were supposed to go to jail when there is domestic violence.

Tom Garrett 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm sure that's part of it, Pat.

I have no idea what lies behind all this, of course. There are so many questions. It wouldn't bother me if someone found a way to help the situation. As for the arrests, I'm not sure, but I think someone once told me that someone has to go to jail if there's a call, but I don't know if that's true. Maybe someone else does.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.