Would you throw away your life for $6,000?

Comments

Tom Garrett 2 years, 1 month ago

You've all read about what happened at the Burger King. I won't repeat it.

I have a question, but let's talk first.

You must have worked for someone at some time or other. And chances are you handled cash while you were doing it.

Remember what handling money felt like that first time? It was odd, wasn't it?

Money--cash--is different from most things. The first money most of us handle is our own money. Because we're usually young at the time, it isn't very much money, but it's ours, and we can do what we want with it: Buy things. Eat things. Go places.

We like it. It's good stuff.

Then comes the first time we handle someone else's money. Doing it isn't fun. It makes us nervous. We're worried about it. We don't want to make mistakes. When the day ends and the register checks out, we feel relieved.

After a while the worry wears off. The green stuff, and the jingling stuff too, becomes just--"stuff." It's not ours, so who cares about it? Handling it is just part of the job, and not the most interesting part. Who likes counting out change all day? Not many people.

Then, for some people, maybe even all people at some time or other, an annoying change takes place. The "stuff" takes on a different look. It becomes money again. Why? Maybe the job doesn't pay much. Maybe there's something we'd really like to buy. Maybe we're always short of spending money. Maybe....

That's a critical point in life, isn't it? It's a tough hurdle for some people. There are only two roads to take. One leads to thievery; one doesn't. If by chance you take the wrong road, and are caught, it can lead to a ruined life, or at best to a permanent loss of respect. The good part, though, is that if you take the right road money becomes "stuff" again and everything goes back to normal.

Luckily, most people make it through that part of life with no harm done.

Then, for some people, not all, there arrives another critical point in life, a point at which you not only are handling someone else's money, but you are doing it with the complete trust of that "someone else." You have "made it." You have proven you can handle responsibility--and someone else's money.

That's wonderful, but your future, your reputation and your place among the people around you all depend on how you handle that trust. If there is one time in life when you better not screw up, this is it.

Why? Because you have "arrived" in life. You've made it. If you work hard you may continue upward, or maybe you'll stay where you are, but the amount you earn will allow you to live a good life. You have come to a point where you have too much to lose to let yourself stumble.

And--at last--a question:

How is it that some people get to that point and then throw away everything they have worked for? Don't they realize that if they are thirty years old they are throwing away thirty years of their lives? Or forty? Or fifty? Or...?

Why throw it all away for a lousy $6,000?

Pat Randall 2 years, 1 month ago

$6000. split 3 ways ain't much. Now the rest of us will probably pay for court appointed attorneys to defend them.

Kim Chittick 2 years, 1 month ago

Tom, I completely agree with you. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, no amount of money, no material possession, no thing, that I want badly enough to jeopardize my freedom and the rest of my life. However, aside from my freedom and my life, I could not live with the loss of respect.

There are people, though, who don't think like we do. Perhaps they work in a crummy low level job. Perhaps they believe that they deserve to make a lot more money, or they see others making good money and don't want to acknowledge that those others worked long and hard to achieve the positions they hold. They want instant gratification. They don't want to do the things required in our world to "make it big". Self respect and the esteem of others is less important than getting what they want. The temptation of handling that gloriously beautiful and useful green paper overrides any morals, ethics, or values, right or wrong.

I feel very strongly about "living in the light", that is, living my life as an open book. I could no more take something that isn't mine, be it money, possessions or anything else, than I could fly to the moon under my own power. I do not deliberately hurt others, and after a very painful and humbling lesson in trusting the wrong people, I always form my own opinion about people and/or things. If you live in the light, you never have to be ashamed.

The 3 young people involved in this robbery have ruined their lives. None of them will likely ever hold a job of accountability, if they ever have the freedom to hold a job. They've lost the respect of their friends, of their families, of society, and deep down, of themselves.

Tom Garrett 2 years, 1 month ago

Thanks, Kim.

I wish I could have said it that well.

This may sound odd, but I genuinely feel sorry for those folks. I wish there were some way they could give back the money, swear an oath they'll never do it again, and get on with their lives.

What a waste!

How many couple are there in just Payson alone who would like to have had the jobs they had? How many people are working hard for half as much?

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.