Is this mailman is getting a fair shake?

Comments

Tom Garrett 2 years, 1 month ago

Have you looked around on for a few days before and after Halloween night lately? Some areas look a like a morgue, with heads, severed fingers, body parts, and rotting corpses lying all over the place.

Where do they come from? Here's an ad taken from the net:

"Welcome To (Bleep) Halloween Outlet"

Visit us for Gruesome Gory Cut Off Severed Heads, Fingers, Arms.

Buy signs, such as Insane Asylum, Morgue, Cemetery, and many more

Check out All the Corpses, Rotted Vampires, Body Parts, Staked Down Dissected Arms..."

Well, you get the picture.

Anyway, right after Halloween this year a postman walked up to a door. There on the steps was another of the grisly remains he had been looking at all over his route. He ignored it and slipped the mail in the box.

However, this time the corpse was real, and the family of the dead man is all up in arms, the postal service has apologized, and the whole thing made the national news

This is not the first time something of this kind has happened in recent years.

In 2005, in Frederica, Delaware, a woman committed suicide by hanging herself from a tree on a moderately busy road on Tuesday night. The body, suspended about 15 feet above the ground, could be easily seen by people in passing vehicles. They noticed the body but dismissed it as a holiday prank. It was left hanging all night and part of the next day.

In 2009 a 75-year-old dead man sat decomposing on his Marina del Rey balcony in Californa for days on end because neighbors thought the body was part of a Halloween display and didn’t bother to call police. And the fact he kept getting worse looking just made it seem more authentic.

On the other hand, in 2007, in Germany, police investigated a report of a corpse on a German train near the town of Bad Segeberg, but found the reported body was actually a drunken, passed out man dressed as a zombie.

And in May of this year, a Polish construction worker laid down for a bare chested nap in the back of his car in Poznan, Poland, and woke to find he'd been reported to police as an abandoned body.

In this case, the man made a complaint.

"I often have a sleep during the lunch hour. Bricklaying is hard work," he explained.

"I'd taken my shirt off because I was hot and I always sleep with my arms across my chest.

"The next thing I knew police and paramedics were trying to tear the door off my car. It scared the life out of me."

So-o-o-o-o....

In the case of the mailman who walked past a corpse just after Halloween this year, who--if anyone--is at fault?

Pat Randall 2 years, 1 month ago

It is the mailman's job to deliver the mail. Not check bodies laying around. He probably was not the only person to see the body and not report it.

Tom Garrett 2 years, 1 month ago

I think you're right, Pat.

I might add that if you are going to drop dead on your front steps it would be wise to pick a date far from October 31st.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.