Facebook comments affect college admissions.

Comments

Tom Garrett 1 year, 4 months ago

I wondered how long it would take before we began hearing things like this.

As you know, I don't use "social networking" sites, so it doesn't affect me.

Quotes taken from CNN.

"...a Kaplan Test Prep survey showed that an increasing number of college admissions officers were discovering information on Facebook and Google that hurt a student's acceptance chances."

"According to the Kaplan survey, 27% of admissions officers checked Google and 26% looked on Facebook as part of their applicant-review process. Thirty-five percent of those doing so -- compared with 12% in 2011 -- found material that negatively impacted their view of a student."

I dug a little deeper and found what college admissions officers were looking for. A couple of quotes from different schools:

"I want students in my community who behave in a way that is civil and respectful and thoughtful."

"This often can be positive for applicants to the degree that it helps demonstrate their range of interests and accomplishments, but could be negative if it raises serious questions about character or judgment."

"We have never ignored information from any source if relevant."

Is this something to get excited about? Maybe. I thought that CNN's comment on it went a bit too far though.

First they mentioned--of all things--Miranda warnings.

Then they said, "On their websites and application forms, colleges should explicitly tell all prospective students that anything they write online can be held against them."

Shoot! If you told high schools kids that anything they said on Facebook would be held against them they would laugh, go to Facebook, and enter, "Naked bodies."

Ronald Hamric 1 year, 4 months ago

Actions have consequences. I have no problem with what the schools are doing and since the prospective students put it all out there themselves in the public arena, they can hardly cry "invasion of privacy". I will leave my thoughts about this "wired" generation for some other rant.

If you go out in public (on the net) and say and do things, then you have to expect the world to judge you by what you say and do.

I have a problem with some things that are an invasion of privacy, but this is not one of them. I think that where people make a mistake is treating a public bulletin board like a private conversation. If I were interested in a social networking site, which I'm not, it would have to be one that was encrypted, where the identity of the people talking was unknown even to the people running the site, and where the name and location of the people posting was impossible to trace.

In other words, where a private conversation was genuinely private.

What's happening now is that people--especially young people--are encouraged to be open and honest in a place where everything they say is open to anyone who wants to take advantage of it. In essence, as far as kids are concerned, they are being dragged into the adult world at a time when their opinions are only half formed and their common sense is still under construction.

Gary Lamken 1 year, 4 months ago

I am on facebook and if I was to apply, most colleges would find that; I am a Christian, I am pro-life, I am a Vet, I support the 2nd ammendment, and my political views are anti liberal . What do ya want to bet I wouldn't get into to many institutions of higher learning.

Pat Randall 1 year, 4 months ago

Gary, You can be all you said and still make some stupid remark that will get you. It may be innocent but someone will read something else into it. Be careful. I went on Facebook and after I read a few things other people wrote. I stopped.

I see nothing wrong with people getting together and talking. I see a lot wrong with it being open for anyone to look at. And I worry about kids being allowed on a place like that. Not that there's is anything wrong with the place itself, but it would be a great place to go fishing for a kid. And an even better place to see people expressing opinions that are not exactly mainstream.

But mainly what bothers me is the fact that every word you say is permanently recorded, is open to scrutiny by anyone in the entire world who wants to see it, and can be read twenty, thirty, forty, or fifty years after your opinion changed.

I have another string about Facebook; one that I think makes all this even worse. I'll put it up.

Ronald Hamric 1 year, 4 months ago

Tom, It isn't only Facebook that is "permanently recorded". I've know since it's inception that everything I have ever posted or will post in the future on this blog and others, is "out there" and might as well be etched in stone. Were I to ever run for any office (shudder at the thought), you can bet that every single one of those "posts" would be resurrected and thrown in my face, and rightfully so. I've posted some pretty rude, inflammatory, and disrespectful statements when someone touches on a "hot button" issue of mine. I've seen numerous others respond that way as well. It is going on as I write this. This "blogosphere" is not something people should view as simply a means of "people getting together and talking'. It's like playing with fire and much caution is called for.

Ron,

As unlikely as it is that I will ever run for office, I couldn't be elected dogcatcher in an all cat town because of the 11,000 or so comments I've put up here.

Why?

I could make a long list, but here's just three:

a. Do not think in absolutes.

b. Do not have a "pure" left or right leaning.

c. Have openly, and admittedly, changed my mind on issues after listening to evidence or arguments that made sense.

It doesn't matter that I would call all three of those good reasons for electing someone--though maybe some others wouldn't. I'd be dead in the water.

I had already posted this when I thought of saying something else.

Here it is; I thought I'd coin a phrase in regard to being willing to change your mind.

The need to keep an open mind doesn't mean you have to start with a vacant one. :-)

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.