About the smoke forum at PUSD this Thursday .

Comments

Tom Garrett 1 year, 4 months ago

I see that we are going to have a public forum on smoke from thinning projects. If you are going, please read this. If you know anyone who is going, please pass it along. It is important!

a. I'd rather put up with a little smoke from thinning than with the smoke from my burning house.

And an almost equal concern:

b. Many times I have driven up on the Rim and seen large piles of what was termed "brush and unusable trees" waiting to be burned. One day, out of curiosity, and because I needed a stretch after a long drive down from Flagstaff, I wandered over to one of the piles to have a look-see. What I saw shocked me. Fully 85% of what I saw, other than stripped bark, was perfectly usable firewood that anyone with a wood burning stove could have used to heat his home.

So if you go to the forum, please make this demand:

All materials gathered for future burning should have signs placed near them stating that anyone who wishes to do so may help himself, at no cost, to any amount of material he wants, without any kind of permit, and without any need to ask anyone for permission. And that includes anyone who intends to use the material for resale.

Don't take no for an answer. Anything else is sheer waste.

Not only that, the amount of smoke would be cut at least in half, and perhaps even more than that.

Tom Garrett 1 year, 4 months ago

I wish I could make that meeting. Those of you who are able to get out and around are lucky. The waste of good firewood that has been going on for so long is a crime. Just think of it, we get all the smoke, but none of the benefit that would derive from the collection and sale of the wood, or the use of it to heat homes.

All that pollution and no benefit. What sense does that make?

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.