Sensible comments from two GOP representatives.

Comments

Tom Garrett 1 year, 8 months ago

The two most sensible things I have heard out of Congress in a long time came from two Republican Representatives.

One of the comments came from one of our Arizona Representatives, Representative Trent Franks. When asked to comment on (eg: criticize) Speaker of the House John Boehner's opening offer concerning our current fiscal problem, he said. "I guess I don't want to speak to that. I think that our speaker is in an enormously difficult position. And I think he's doing the best he can."

He added, quite sensibly, that his comment does not mean that he will buy into just any deal that Representative Boehner may make, but his comment makes it obvious that he is there to listen, not to make up his mind in advance.

The other sensible comment came from Texas Representative Blake Farenthold when he too was speaking of a possible compromise that Boehner may reach in an effort to settle the problem.

"Nobody gets what they want," Representative Farenthold said. "But most people get what they can live with."

To me, that says that at least some House Republicans are willing to take a wait and see attitude, keeping an open mind until something concrete in placed on the table.

That, I believe, is the correct way to approach a discussion. Wouldn't you agree?

Tom Garrett 1 year, 8 months ago

I thought I'd add this to the list of string we could hold out comments on for a day or so, so I'll repeat the same thing I said on the the two, the elk string and the educational goals string.

We are so tied up with the PSWID incident that with your permission I am going to put this string and elk "poaching"m on hold for a while. I know you all have more to say on each of them, but I think we will gain by holding onto our thoughts in the face of so many comments on something that strikes so close to home.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.