Did I get a snow job?

Comments

Tom Garrett 1 year, 10 months ago

How about that? One week, two dumb questions.

Something happened this week that makes me wonder--a lot. And since one nice thing about a forum like this is that we get to talk to other people, I thought I'd ask you folks about it.

Our trash is normally picked up by Waste Management on Wednesday. They used to send us a little holiday schedule two or three times a year, but they quit, so we have no choice but to put the can out on the regular day and hope.

We did that on Wednesday. Nobody arrived. No big deal, we left it out on Thursday. Still no one came. Frst thing on Friday morning I called the office and asked when they would be coming.

To my utter amazement, the clerk told me the truck had not come on Thursday because the snow had "prevented it from getting to some roads." Startled because we'd had only a light dusting, perhaps half an inch, I told her my road couldn't have been one of them, but she said it was, and again repeated that snow prevented the truck from getting here.

I told her that both the other two garbage collection companies had made it all right, that I had seen traffic driving up and down the street all day Thursday, that David had picked up mail at the post office, and a friend had come over and stayed for two hours. She told me that it was much more difficult for a large truck to make it through a smattering of snow than for a car to do it. I know better, but I didn't argue.

Now, I could see that it might be hard to get to some locations in Pine in a heavy snowfall, but not to my place. I live down on the flat, not up on the hills, so I asked her again, and she said it again. The truck could not get here, period.

I thought of pointing out to her that several times over the years the truck had been the first thing to come down the road--when we had as much 22 inches of new-fallen snow. But I'm not one to argue, so it still being early on a workday I just asked her when the truck would be coming by. She told me there wouldn't be a truck coming by, and that there was no one there, meaning no drivers. That was early in the morning, by the way.

As I said, I'm not one to argue, so I just let it go, intending to just forget it. I had better things to do than engage in trash talk.

But today (Sunday) David drove over to Uncle Tom's to get a pizza (Lolly loves them). When he came back in he frowned at me and told me that on the way to and from Uncle Tom's, which is a beeline straight through the center of Pine, he had seen several uncollected and bulging Waste Management cans, all of them right off the main road.

So, the question....

If you live in Pine, or happen to talk to someone who does, I'd like to know whether you've seen any uncollected Waste Management cans lying around.

I am not fond of snow jobs.

Thanks.

Ronald Hamric 1 year, 10 months ago

Tom, I was with WM for several years and finally had enough of their "snow jobs" and rate increases. Went with Waste Matters and have been very happy. It seems WM responds to your concerns only when you are cancelling their service. It's a national conglomerate, so I suppose customer service is not high on their list.

Kim Chittick 1 year, 10 months ago

Tom, the question that I would be asking is how much my bill was going to be pro-rated that month to allow for the non pickup day.

Pat Randall 1 year, 10 months ago

It won't be pro-rated. I too had Waste Management and they raised the price so I called Waste Matters. Better price. When I called W. Man. to cancel they asked if I was moving and I told them no. They wanted to know why I was cancelling my service. I told them it was cheaper at Waste Matters. She told me well we can match thier price. Told her no, I didn't play that kind of games. Why send a notice they were raising thier price then tell me they would match the other companies price. Yes they are the largest trash haulers in the US. Something needs to be done about all the trucks tearing up our roads. I live on a dead end street, about 10 houses and all three trash companies drive in here. Two of them on the same day.

Kim Chittick 1 year, 10 months ago

Same nonsense happened with us, Pat. The driver kept squeezing our cans and cracking them, which makes my husband crazy. The third time I called and asked for a new, not cracked can, I was told that they were "going to have to charge me for the new can". I hung up and called Waste Matters. They were cheaper, much nicer, very easy to work with, and they even make a special trip out on the rare occasion that I forget to put the can out to the street. When I called Waste Management back, they said that they could "bring out a new can at no charge this time". I told them no thank you and requested that they pick up the cracked can that day, and cancelled my service.

Bernice Winandy 1 year, 10 months ago

My husband also got into a dispute with Waste Management. We don't use them anymore.

Ronald Hamric 1 year, 10 months ago

Pat, That appears to be WM's approach. I had the very identical experience you did when I called to cancel. Waste Matters is a great outfit. Our neighbor forgot to set their can out one day and the driver could see it from the street so he got out and wheeled it to his truck and then emptied it. Can't fault service like that.

Tom Garrett 1 year, 10 months ago

Thanks, folks. I didn't really expect to hear all that, but I can see what I have to do.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.