Hey! People still like the NRA!

Comments

Tom Garrett 1 year, 3 months ago

I thought maybe that had changed.

Reading CBS News, I stumbled upon this comment:

"Poll: Majority of Americans view the NRA favorably"

I saw that the poll was taken after a certain recent incident. Being someone who checks facts, especially when it comes to polls, I did just that.

The first thing I did was ask who took the poll. It turned out to be Gallup, which is by and large an organization I trust (because they actually post the questions they ask).

So, having done that I looked at the question and the choices. They were quite straightforward. The question was, "What is your overall opinion of the National Rifle Association, also know as the NRA? Is it very favorable, mostly favorable, mostly unfavorable, or very unfavorable?"

The result? 54% chose Very favorable or Mostly favorable. 38% chose Very unfavorable or Mostly unfavorable. 7% of people had no opinion.

They also published a bottom line comment.

"The National Rifle Association continues to have a majority favorable image in the eyes of the American public, as it has in all but one of the seven surveys in which Gallup has measured it since 1993."

They broke down the numbers in a few interesting ways, so I looked at those too. I thought it was interesting that only three quarters of people with a gun in their house have a favorable opinion of the NRA at this time, and that of people with no gun in the house, the split was not all that extreme, 40% of them being favorable and 51% being unfavorable. It was also interesting that 83% of Republicans, 54% of Independents, and 36% of Democrats had a favorable view of the NRA.

In a separate post as we talk about this I'll put up the questions I ask about polls.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.