103 Arizona education laws are not confusing.

Comments

Tom Garrett 1 year, 6 months ago

Life is confusing these days. Sometimes we wonder what in the world is going on. We try hard to understand some of the new laws we see, but just can't seem to make any sense out of them.

But that is NOT true when it comes to the laws that affect public education. We are now going to have student test scores being used to evaluate teachers, and principals who are going to be required to evaluate every teacher every month, and that is easy to understand.

You see, in Carson Junior High, where I taught in Mesa, we had around 65 to 68 teachers. Let's make it an even 60 to make the numbers easier. There are 22 to 23 work days in the average month, but again lets use 20 to make the numbers easier.

So, 60 teachers divided by 20 days. That comes to three teachers each day. An evaluation takes a class period, or one hour. Writing up an evaluation takes 20 to 30 minutes, but let's take 20, the smaller number.

Hm-m-m. Is the principal going to discuss the evaluation with the teacher, the way it is always done--one on one, in the principal's office? That takes 20 to 30 minutes, and the evaluation is useless without it because no one can improve if he isn't told what he's doing wrong, but let's say NO.

The numbers? Pardon me while I write crib notes on my wrist.

Comes to at least half of every work day for each principal as long as we keep the numbers low, don't have any evaluations, leave out travel time, and don't actually use the evaluations.

Now what does that tell us?

It tells us that instead of trying to puzzle out why the legislature does things about public education we should just read the oath of office our legislators take.

"I do solemnly swear that I will protect and defend those whose campaign money put me here by doing everything I can to tear down public education and turn it over to private business. Oh...and, uh that does not include charter schools, which do not have to meet any of the rules."

See? Makes everything easy to understand.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.