Mental health

Comments

Pat Randall 1 year, 11 months ago

There are many different kinds of mental health. Some people are born with a problem in thier brain, but that doesn't necessarily make them violent. They are what are called special ed. needs now. Some are mistreated as children and draw into themselves but are not violent. Others become bullies and want to hurt people. Not kill them, just make them hurt inside like they are. Words can sometimes hurt a lot more than physical violence. Others use physical violence. Some want to kill. There are people that as they get older, stress, death of a loved one, no money, no one to love them have what they used to call a nervous breakdown. With help they get over it, they don't want to hurt anyone they just want to quit hurting. If not helped they get over it by committing suicide. You don't lock all these people up somewhere and stuff pills down them to make them sleep all time. One size does not fit all. Put 5 people in a room and one or more of them will have some kind of mental health problem. Good psychiatrists are what is needed. Ones that will talk and work with a patient not start poking pills down them or lock them up. First the patient needs a complete physical from head to toe. Blood tests to make sure they don't have a chemical imbalance. Drs. today depend to much on a pill to do thier work for them. Cover up the symptom, don't look for the cause. If the first one doesn't work add one or give them a different one.

Tom Garrett 1 year, 11 months ago

Pat,

The programmer has done something odd. She has the program set so that if you do not put a space (that is, a blank line) between paragraphs they all come out as one paragraph. I'll list some things and let you see what I mean.

a. Paragraph. b. Paragraph. c. Paragraph.

When I post this they will all come out on the same line.

Now I'm going to copy them and put a blank line between each one.

a. Paragraph.

b. Paragraph.

c. Paragraph.

See? It's the only way you can get paragraphs to work.

Now, as to what you said. You are 100% right. We need to focus on helping people, not medicating them into zombies or hiding them away in a dungeo. I strongly feel that there are some people who can't be allowed on the street, but I shudder at the thought of people who can be helped being shut up in some hole.

Pam Mason 1 year, 11 months ago

I completely agree which is why on a previous post I indicated that funding for mental health is hard to come by. Treating a patient with mental health issues is not considered exciting or sexy enough as compared to say a new breakthrough in heart surgery.

At medical school in Arizona students are trained to evaluate the whole person taking care to follow up with medical tests such as Pat suggeted. Listening, empathy, kindness and caring is emphasized along with having a thorough knowledge of available treatments and medications. Part of the Resident training involves seeing patients at VA faciities amongst others. Doctors also work in lock-up units in order to help patients that are deemed to be dangerous/unstable at the time, some can be helped enormously and others can't.

Mental Health needs to be discussed out in the open and we need to remove the stigma associated with it.

Bernice Winandy 1 year, 11 months ago

I thoroughly agree that something needs to be done with regard to the treatment of the mentally ill. Unfortunately, it takes a great deal of time, and therefore money, to properly treat the mentally ill. Given the money problems facing the nation, do you think the powers that control the purse strings are willing to make the expenditure?

John Lemon 1 year, 11 months ago

Agree. Wy do you think that there are so many more people identified with mental illness or people who are acting out and obviously "different" than 50 years ago? Do we identify them more? Are mentally ill people more obvious ? Were mentally ill people more controlled by families and local groups so they did not act out in public? Are we creating more mentally ill people today? Is the proportion of mentally ill the same or greater than in the past?

Pam Mason 1 year, 11 months ago

"Is the proportion of mentally ill the same or greater than in the past?" Is there a link between how kids are raised today and the accepted lower standards of behavior? Are some kids acting out because they can? Is there less interaction with parents and more with video games and TV?

Pat Randall 1 year, 11 months ago

Mr. Lemon, It is not a matter of control. It is a matter of medical help. Standards of behavior have something to do with it, but health is what we are talking about. The people that families kept locked up long time ago were probably suffering from dementia. They can't be cured but they don't all need to be locked away somewhere and be drugged.

Sometimes just having a good friend to talk to will help a person suffering from grief or mistreatment from families.

Take the druggies and drunks off medicare, SS disability, and welfare and there would be plenty of money.

Tom Garrett 1 year, 11 months ago

"Given the money problems facing the nation, do you think the powers that control the purse strings are willing to make the expenditure?"

In a word, no. They don't contribute to election campaigns. (I probably shouldn't say no. There are some well meaning pols. They just are in a minority.)

"Is the proportion of mentally ill the same or greater than in the past?"

I haven't seen and stats on that. Trouble is I'd mistrust them if I did because it would be so hard to find objective definitions, and because too many people would be trying to grind an axe. But if you were to reword the question, and ask, "Are there more people on the street today who are visibly disturbed I'd be the first one to say YES!

"Is there a link between how kids are raised today and the accepted lower standards of behavior?"

I believe that to be true. What we have going on now is a third generation of kids being raised by the kids of the kids of the generation (in the 60's) where things began to fall apart. If we do not work for morality, we sure as hell aren't going to get it.

"Standards of behavior have something to do with it, but health is what we are talking about."

Pat, you're right there, but when we push the envelope of what is "allowable" then we get into trouble in more than just one way. For example, a person who took off all his clothes and walked into a store in San Francisco when I was there in 1962 would have been arrested and tested to see if his brain was in gear. Wouldn't happen now.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.