126 Yes, let's take away all the guns!

Comments

Tom Garrett 1 year, 11 months ago

I guess you know I'm being sarcastic, but you may be wondering why. Here's your answer:

Donnie Herman, of Loganville Georgia, a small town of ten thousand, was away from home earning a living when he received a phone that every husband and father dreads receiving. Hiding in a locked bathroom inside a locked bedroom with her two 9 year old children, his wife Melinda called him and told him there was a burglar in the house.

When he found that she had gone into the gun safe and gotten the pistol, he did the only two things he could do from so many miles away. He reminded her of the lessons he had given her at the firing range as he dialed 911 on another phone.

As the 911 dispatcher listened in he asked his wife, "Is he in the house, Melinda? Are you sure? How do you know? You can hear him in the house?"

He turned ice cold as his wife told him the intruder was coming closer and closer. Then he heard something he had hoped he would not hear.

"He's in the bedroom?" he asked.

When Melinda said yes, he said, "Shh, shh, relax. Just remember everything that I showed you, everything that I taught you, all right?"

Just as he finished telling her the police were on their way Donnie Herman heard shots. And then, in what must have been one of the best and worst moments of his life, he found that his wife had pulled the trigger.

He shouted to the dispatcher, "She shot him! She's shootin' him! She's shootin' him! She's shootin' him!"

Yells and screaming came over the phone against his ear, including the loud sound of a male voice. "Shoot him again! Shoot him!" he yelled.

And Melinda did, emptying the weapon. Then, as the intruder turned and fled, so did she, wisely running with the children to a neighbor's house.

The intruder took off in his SUV. Police found it on a nearby street and discovered a man bleeding from his face and body in a small wooded area. Police identified the suspect as 32-year-old Paul Slater of Atlanta.

Authorities believe Slater targeted a home in another local subdivision but left when confronted by the homeowner. It is not certain that he will survive.

Who did survive is a beloved wife and two precious children.

As I read the article that told this story I noticed two other headlines on the same page. I hate to be politically partisan. As you well know, I rarely am, but one of those headlines struck me so forcefully I'll repeat it for you:

Biden: Obama may side-step Congress on gun control

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.