This sounds funny, but maybe it's not.

Comments

Tom Garrett 1 year, 10 months ago

Reuters New Service thought it was funny to put up this headline about American politics: "Dead candidates win elections in Florida, Alabama."

And yes, it's true. Florida Democrat Earl K. Wood and Alabama Republican Charles Beasley won their respective elections but they will not take office because they are dead.

Funny?

Depends on how you view the results, I suppose.

First, what happened: Both men were very popular and were running unopposed. Both died late in their campaigns, Wood on October 15 and Beasley on October 12. Because of early voting, many of the votes for them were cast before they died. And since no one else was running, they won. If someone else had been running, the result might have been different because people who voted on election day would have know that one of the candidates had died.

What will happen now is that two men will be appointed to take their places. There will be no other election. The people will have voted for one man and gotten another.

In cases like this should there be an run-off election of some kind?

Bernice Winandy 1 year, 10 months ago

I don't think it is funny as in haha. However, I do think it is funny as in odd, strange.

Tom Garrett 1 year, 10 months ago

I agree with you there, Bernice.

What's funnier is what I read last night as I looked into this to see if someone is doing anything about it. Some pol down in Florida was asked why he didn't throw his hat in the ring when he saw the opportunity. You'll never guess what his answer was (I'm paraphrasing because I didn't copy it down, but this is pretty close.)

"It's pretty hard to run against a dead man. You don't dare say anything against him."

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.