129 Just had to mention this.

Comments

Tom Garrett 1 year, 2 months ago

On the theory that it's not true that people don't want to hear good news I thought I'd just mention something that happened at our place last night, something that felt very good.

At about ten pm I was in the front room reading, as always with the monitor next to Lolly turned on. She was in bed asleep. Suddenly, I heard a loud sound come out of her, something between a groan and a shout of fright. Lolly rarely says anything much that can be understood anymore, but before I could even get out of my chair she said--very loudly and clearly, "I am SO scared!"

I was there in the bedroom in seconds. I switched on the lamp on the bedside table, told her I was there, took her hand, kissed her on the cheek, and asked her if she was okay.

She rarely opens her eyes wide anymore, but she opened them then. And with those wide open dark eyes came the sweetest, happiest, most relieved smile I have seen in a long time.

"You okay, sweetheart?" I asked her.

She didn't answer but the smile widened. I said, "I bought some of your favorite chocolate today, the orange chocolate. Would you like a piece?"

"Yes," she said very quitely.

Still holding her hand, I gave her a piece of chocolate. Then we talked a while--and she actually talked. David showed up. His monitor is always on too. I asked him if he would stay while I ran upstairs and changed for bed.

He did, and when I got back downstairs Lolly was chewing on another bit of orange chocolate. David told me they were having quite a conversation and she was laughing and happy all the while.

I climbed into bed, put my arm around her as I do every night, and we talked for about 20 minutes. Mostly I talked; that's the way it always is. Then we went to sleep, together in our 54th year.

If someone were to ask me right now what the best thing in life is I'd probably say this: "I don't know. There are a lot of wonderful things in this life, each one better than the next, and it's hard to choose, but one of the best ones is having someone there when you need someone. That's the way life ought to be."

Tom

Rex Hinshaw 1 year, 2 months ago

Tom, I'm wiping the tears away as I type this. I'm thinking about my parents now who have been married for 67 years. Going to give them a call. Thank you for sharing.

Pat Johnson 1 year, 2 months ago

Tom, Your love for Lolly is so inspiring. She is blessed to have you in her life, as are you to have her. God bless you both and give you many more years of love.

Pat Randall 1 year, 2 months ago

Tom, I think everyone reading your post are wiping thier eyes. Your posts about you and Lolly are wonderful.

Bernice Winandy 1 year, 2 months ago

Nice thing to remember/recall in the years to come. How wonderful that she was able to talk and share her thoughts. Thanks for sharing. Did you ever find out what scared Lolly?

Pam Mason 1 year, 2 months ago

At the end of the day as you go to bed knowing that you love and care for each other is everything. Thank you for sharing with us.

Kim Chittick 1 year, 2 months ago

I agree with Pat, I think that anybody who has read this post is wiping their eyes. I know that I am. The love between you and Lolly is so beautiful and inspiring. You both remain in my prayers!

Thank you, folks. There was no way I could keep from saying what was in my mind. There are some things that just have to be said; you just can't keep them to yourself. Your responses show that there are still a lot of people who care about the important things in life--a lot more than we think there are at times. Knowing that is important. I'd like to think that someday it won't be two against the world, but two with the world.

Jane Wilcox 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm speechless, Tom. Thank you for sharing such an intimate episode with all of us. Really puts some of what I thought were "large looming" things in perspective. God bless, Jane

Thank you, Jane. Sometimes things happen that you just can't keep to yourself.

What you say about perspective reminds me of a saying I came across one day:

"I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes -- until I met a man who had no feet."

I have tried to trace that down a few times, but I always end up with exactly the same attribution: "Jewish proverbs." No matter how hard I look, that's all I find--except for more Jewish proverbs like this one: “If God lived on earth, people would break his windows.”

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.