124 Are Israeli policies a main cause of world terrorism?

Comments

Tom Garrett 1 year, 10 months ago

There is no single cause of the terrorism coming from within the Islamic world. Some of it is due to religious fanaticism which has always been a part of the world's ills. Some people fail to understand that we come to our beliefs through faith, not coercion.

But it behooves us to ask ourselves whether or not the failed policies being followed by Israel are a primary cause of world terrorism?

From the Voice of America.

Israel's prime minister is moving ahead new settlements in a Palestinian-owned area near Jerusalem where Israeli security forces evicted more than 100 Palestinians last Sunday.

Israel will construct 3,000 more housing units in a Palestinian zone between Israeli-occupied East Jerusalem and the West Bank Jewish settlement of Maaleh Adumim.

Be honest. How many times have you read almost those exact words? My guess is that it has been somewhere near a hundred times now. Always the same incontrovertible facts: Israel, having started the 1967 War for the purpose of finding an excuse to occupy Palestinian lands, once again announces that it intends to build on those lands. It moves in troops, drags people off their land, and builds.

There is no doubt about who owns the land. There is no doubt that it is not part of Israel. Yet it happens over and over again.

When Israeli security personnel entered the zone before dawn Sunday and removed the people, they resisted only passively, saying, "We are Palestinian families, we own this land and we want to use it. We want to build over it, we want to plant it, we want our children to use it."

This time, however, two additional facts make the Israeli move even more flagrant.

First of all, the Palestinians took the matter to Israel's own court and won their case, legally blocking Israel from moving them by obtaining an injunction from Israel's own Supreme Court. But the Israeli government ignored its own highest court, declared the site a military zone, and went ahead anyway.

Secondly, taking this land makes it impossible for Palestinians to ever form a viable homeland. They must have this piece of land, and Israel knows it. This new development, right at the center of the West Bank, makes it impossible for Palestinians to form a state with viable borders; it blocks their access to East Jerusalem.

Is there any question that the repeated taking of Palestinian land by Israel is a major cause of acts terrorism against the United States by people who see us as co-conspirators in a plot to eradicate them?

How would you feel if it were you? Or a friend or relative? Wouldn't you fight back?

Americans are fighting and dying around the world and at home so that Israel can take land from people who have lived on it for centuries. Are we never going to do anything to stop the cause of the attacks against us? Would it not be better to remove the cause of those attacks than to spend billions of dollars on unnecessary wars, or on homeland security no other nation needs?

Bernice Winandy 1 year, 10 months ago

Tom, you speak good, reasonable, sane words. However, think back to the election rhetoric.

Tom Garrett 1 year, 10 months ago

Sorry, Bernice. I'm not sure what (or maybe which) election rhetoric you mean. Was there something being said about Israel?

You know what's amazing? In recent months I've read biographies of most of the presidents of the past 50 years, or else of their White House aides or news people, or whatever. (Except for Clinton.) In every presidential term the same words are spoken. "We are close to a settlement." "The next meeting should bring a resolution." "We are very close to a breakthrough" And so on. All the way back to Kennedy. (There may have been something said in the two books on Ike, but I don't remember it.)

That's 50 years with no change whatsoever! None!

Every time Yasser Arafat is criticized for leaving the negotiation table at Camp David I get mad as hell! Listen to the words the Israeli Prime Minister spoke just before Arafat got up and walked out. "The Israeli settlements are off the table." If you take the settlements off the table, what is there to discuss? A Palestinian surrender of their natural rights?

Read this direct quote: "Under any peace deal with the Palestinians, Israel intends to keep the major settlement blocs close to its borders, which contain over 80% of the settlers. Prime Ministers Yitzhak Rabin, Ariel Sharon, and Benjamin Netanyahu have all stated Israel's intent to keep such blocs under any peace agreement."

Read what international law says about occupied lands: "The view of the international community is that the existence of Israeli settlements in the West Bank including East Jerusalem and the Golan Heights is in violation of international law. The Fourth Geneva Convention includes statements such as 'the Occupying Power shall not deport or transfer parts of its own civilian population into the territory it occupies.'"

I wanted very much to see a homeland for the Jews, and I celebrated what they got one. But times have changed. Is Israel a friend? Or is it a greed-motivated nation which is using us to pull its chestnuts out of the fire? I would fight and die for the right of Israel to exist, but how can we with a clear conscience allow Israel to continue stealing the lands of helpless people?

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.