141 Do you see racial prejudice in this?

Comments

Tom Garrett 1 year, 6 months ago

In a Florida court, an 18 year old Hispanic girl appeared in bail bond court on a drug charge.

When the judge asked her if she was under the influence the girl laughed nervously, perhaps because she was embarrassed. She had been brought into court on a drug charge after all. That's why she was there, to have her bail set.

But the judge, sounding huffy, said, "We're not in a club, be serious about it."

The girl told him quietly that she was being serious.

The judge ordered her held on an outrageous $5,000 bond, at which point she laughed nervously again. "Adios," she said quietly, turning to go.

The judge rapped his gavel, called her back and jumped her bond to $10,000.

"Are you serious?" the girl asked.

The judge frowned, "I am serious," he said. "Adios!!"

At that point the girl frowned, flipped him off and walked away.

The result?

The judge then ordered her held in contempt of court and sentenced her to 30 days in jail.

Look, it's not a perfect world. People get drunk and act like drunks. People get stoned and act stoned. This kid was probably stoned. The only thing the judge had to do was set her bail. That's why she was standing there before him. All he had to do was set bail, rap his gavel, and let her go call her parents in to pay her fee. So why get all shook up if she wasn't looking, or acting, sober? How should you expect some kid to act when she's been brought in on a drug charge--as sober as a judge?

And what is wrong with some Hispanic kid saying, "Adios?" When I was teaching down in Mesa many of my kids said, "Adios." I didn't take offense at it. Why would I have?

You know what I think that flipping off was? A good example why we have a First Amendment--to tell stuffed shirts what we think of them. To dump their tea into Boston harbor and tell them to jump in and join it.

Anyway, am I wrong or is this a case of a judge abusing his powers?

Pat Randall 1 year, 6 months ago

If it is the girl I saw on TV, I would probably have given her 60 days. She broke the law, showed contempt for the court and was a real smart a--.

Ronald Hamric 1 year, 6 months ago

Tom, As Pat said, if this is the case that was all over the internet and news, I don't see any "racial prejudice " present at all. You know I'm not the most ardent fan of our so called justice system and there are probably as many crooked judges as there are crooked lawyers, since they are all off the same tree. But from what I saw, this young girl was openly disrespectful of the judge and the seriosness of why she was standing in front of him. If we are ever to return to any semblance of respect for our laws and legal system, then everyone has to show it some respect. That includes all politicians, judges, law enforcement types , as well as the citizenry as a whole. But the respect for the "system" has to be earned, as does respect for any law. People have to understand that if one violates those laws, there are consequences, and those consequences should not be tempered or plea bargained. This young lady was given the opportunity to appear in front of that same judge a day later and her whole attitude was different and she was apologetic and contrite. At least outwardly. The judge rescinded her previous sentence and reduced her bail to the original amount. I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but I believe the judge had a Spanish surname as well. So, to answer your question, I didn't see any "color or race" issue at work here at all.

Kim Chittick 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm with Pat and Ron on this one. Although, in my opinion, if this girl was too high to show proper respect for the court and our judicial system, she should have been sent back to a cell to sleep it off, until she sobered up and could show the proper respect. I believe that Ron is correct, that the Judge had a Spanish surname. In my opinion, the "adios" was a verbal flip off to the judge, to remind him of his Mexican heritage. As for the literal flip off, she got off way too easily having the previous sentence rescinded and her bail returned to the original amount. Anybody would be apologetic and contrite when their finances and freedom are being threatened. As for racial prejudice...man I get tired of hearing that phrase bandied about!!! Anytime an incident occurs and one or more of the persons involved has a name or face that even remotely looks or sounds mexican or "black", people start screaming racism. Let's get over it people!!

Pat Randall 1 year, 6 months ago

Couldn't have said it better Kim. I am so tired of hearing the word racist. Take off the outer skin and what do you have? We all bleed red blood. No one is of one race and I would bet on it. Anything pertaining to race, color or creed should be taken out of the law. Everyone learn to live by the laws of the land. Not some of them getting an advantage because they are a different color or race. As it is now "white" people are always in the wrong.

Tom Garrett 1 year, 6 months ago

Ah! I see!

There's a difference between seeing something on the screen and reading a report that may or may not have been manipulated. We can safely forget this one. Thanks.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.