150 You were right!

Comments

Tom Garrett 1 year, 9 months ago

Well, it's true. Just what you suspected.

The flu vaccine is not quite doing its job this year. It is only about 27% effective, especially for anyone 65 or older. So say the experts: The Centers for Disease Control.

But that's not the worst news. It's only 9% effective at protecting people from the H3N2 strain which is causing most illness this season.

I can testify to that. Two weeks! Whooey!

Flu vaccines never work as well among older people because their immune systems tend to be weaker. But this year's protection seems to be unusually low. Officials aren't sure why.

However, if you haven't been vaccinated, do it!

It will still provide you with some protection, and make your illness laess severe and less dangerous.

Ah, but there's some good news--at least for me. Maybe you know this, but I didn't. I always thought that if you got a bacterial infection it was smart to go to the doctor for an antibiotic, but if you got a viral infection you were wasting your time; an antibiotic would do not good, and there was nothing else to take.

Wrong!

There are now antiviral treatments, and if you get something you think is the flu head straight for the doctor and get treated! It will make a world of difference!

Did you know that?

NOW they tell me.

Tom Garrett 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm really curious how many of you knew that there were now treatments for viral infections that help if you get flu. And I'm wondering how many people know that they have to be started right away. (And come to think of it, now that shingles seems to be becoming a problem, I wonder if everyone knows that there is a treatment for it but that it has to be started asap.)

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.