151 How does this strike you?

Comments

Tom Garrett 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm going to quote from an article I read in a place called The Moderate Voice.

...Start quote...

Want Higher Productivity? Stop Treating Employees Like Children.

Some estimate that time spent not working results in $130 billion ... in lost productivity.

But a new study done by a team of economists reports that, even if they’re working, it’s the the temptation of the forbidden Internet that actually lowers their productivity.

... the reality is, the Internet is only one small attention sinkhole. Co-workers, planning your kid’s birthday party, last night’s episode of Downton Abbey, and everything else under the sun can also be a distraction to your employees.

So ... just how do you increase productivity? I say, let them be grownups.

Don’t say, 'No Internet for you!' Not because it’s a waste of time, but because grownups should be monitoring themselves.

...End quote...

So what this guy is saying is that the way to increase the amount of work you get out of people is to just let your employees do whatever they want because they are grownups--and the end result will be MORE work instead of less.

And your comment is...?

I'll tell you what I'd say, but somehow I suspect that if I just keep quiet I'll be hearing it from you.

Pat Randall 1 year, 8 months ago

If they don't work, fire them. Someone will come along that has a good work ethic. Been there, done that. Replacements knew they had to do their job or be gone.

That would work for me.

I think that the person who wrote that article must have been out of his mind. If you just let people do whatever they want, that's all they'll do--what they want to do.

That would work for me.

I think that the person who wrote that article must have been out of his mind. If you just let peopke do whatever they want, that's all they'll do--what they want to do.

Pat Randall 1 year, 8 months ago

If they handle your money that is a whole new story. Every penny had to be accounted for and watch that alcohol wasn't being given away to collect a big tip.

John Lemon 1 year, 8 months ago

Tom, I certainly agree that a person should not be treated like a child - unless that is what is deserved. The author of that lump must be from the "don't spank your child because it will harm the psyche" school of thought. I will guess that the author also is a member of the Liberal Club, :)

Pat,

Never occurred to me, but a bartender out for big tips could really cost an owner a lot of money.

And anyone who doesn't watch the till is just plain crazy. As I've mentioned a few times, I worked at Ocean Beach in New London for 5 summers straight. In my third year there I noticede that one of the other guys was tapping the till. It was easy enough to see. He was so dumb he thought it made sense to keep his handkerchief in a front pocket and "blow his nose" every time he wanted to drop cash (usually coins) into his pocket.

Because he was from my high school and wasn't really a bad kid it put me in a little bit of a dilemma whether or not to trun him in, but then I noticed that the owner came into our little stand one night at about ten o'clock (two hours before we usually closed) and slammed the till closed after he roughly checked the register for the take (something I'd not seen him do before). His anger suggested to me that he knew someone was tapping the till, so I figured he already knew it, was smart enough to figure out a way to catch the thief, and didn't need me to tell him about it.

Sure enough, the cop of the beach beat, a nice guy named Tony that my family knew, came in with Joe just at closing and dragged the kid off. You know how they caught him? Pretty clever, I thought.

The stand opened to the outside, with the entire vista of a huge parking lot spread out beyond a 20 foot wide sidewalk, and during the day there would be so many people crowded around the counter that it actually got dark in there. But at night, especially on a slow day, there might be almost no one around at times, giving the impression that you could not be observed--or so my buddy thought.

The owner and his police friend went out in the parking lot, got into a car, and sat with binoculars and watched the stand. It was obvious what the kid was doing. With it dark outside and no one around he thought he had it made, but they could see what people bought and even read the total on the register.

I never found out what they did to the kid. He just disappeared from the stand, but he was back in school the next year.

I worked there for two years after that, and they never had any more trouble after that. Not that I know of, anyway. But a person like that, and a stand like that which didn't make a lot of money? One crook could put you out of business.

John,

I often see self-styled psychologists selling warmed over grade school stuff made up to fill a space on some site. It's a big problem; too many people are ready to listen to such garbage.

The child-rearing books that came out in the 60's did irreparable harm to this nation. Someone I know well raised her two kids by all that crap. One of them has turned out so bad that I would not have him in my house. He is an incorrigible teenage jerk. The way to raise children is to follow your instincts. Been done with a lot of success for two million years.

You'll appreciate this. Every once in a while I would run across some so-called incorrigible kid in high school or junior high. The first one was one of a pair of kids in my very first year of teaching in civilian life. They were in a "resource" 9th grade physical science class, one of two I had (and that's a story worth telling too, a funny one; I'll get to it some day). I never had much trouble with the kids. I think it was because I was just me and I didn't pretend to be anything else. However, there is one rule that any teacher has to enforce--when you talk the kids shut up; there's no way to teach unless that's so.

I believe in letting kids pair up. That being the case, I allowed them to reseat themselves the first day. That let them sit with someone they liked. If I hadn't let them reseat themselves it would have been just be the luck of the draw. One of these days I'll go into why I paired kids. It was VERY successful.

Anyway, these two clowns were sitting as a pair because I had permitted it, but they didn't seem to get it that when I said there would be no talking when I was talking I meant what I said. One day, about the third time in five minutes I had to check them, I went walking over to them and had a little chat. During it, I found out that they were seniors, not freshmen. They had taken and failed the course two or three times before, but they had to have one science credit to graduate, so here they were again.

When I heard that I smiled from ear to ear. In fact, I laughed out loud, and it was a real laugh. One of them was just a plain old dummy. You know? Cement between the ears? But the other one was a tall burly looking kid named Stutzenberger. I spoke most directly to him--all the time with the widest grin on my face you have ever seen.

"You're telling me that you two have to pass this course or you don't graduate? And you sit there giving me a hard time by talking? You gotta be kidding!"

That's all I said. I just turned and walked away laughing.

For the rest of the year? No problem. Every time cement-head started to talk Stutz shut him up.

Three years later, guess who walked into my classroom in a police uniform and shook my hand?

"You taught me a lot that day," he said.

He also told me that if I ever needed a cop for any reason all I had to do was call him.

Kids can grow, but only if you teach them where the sun is located.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.