171 Bill would prevent early ballot pickups.

Comments

Tom Garrett 1 year, 9 months ago

A bill to make it illegal for "volunteers" to pick up early ballots has already passed the AZ Senate, has just passed the appropriate AZ House committee, and will soon be on its way to a vote in the AZ House.

There have been reports that "people" were going to door-to-door picking up early ballots, but only if the person voted in a "certain way."

There have been other reports that people have been masquerading as county election workers who were picking up early ballots. What happened to the ballots after they were picked up was not reported.

Obviously, early ballots can be mailed, which is no doubt the safest way to ensure that they get where they are going.

Barbara Klein, president of the League of Women Voters of Arizona, says the bill would have a "chilling effect'' on efforts by volunteer groups like hers, and on Latino organizations, to get more people to vote.

I would be very curious to hear your comment.

Rex Hinshaw 1 year, 9 months ago

No one except veted election officials or the US Post Office should be allow to handle or transport ballots....period. With all due respect to Ms. Klein... what is "chilling" about having to mail your early ballot? I find her statment "telling" by including Latino organizations.

Rex,

If I had to apologize for every typo I'd be here all day and night. :-)

I agree with you. Early ballots are an obvious target for abuse and corruption.

• They could be picked up and never turned in.

• They could be changed.

• Only the "right" people could be helped to get one or send one in.

I think the legislature is taking a wise step. It's no more trouble to mail an early ballot than it is to mail anything else.

Pat Randall 1 year, 9 months ago

People in nursing homes that can't even say thier own name vote, because these good people take a ballot to them and help them vote.

Pat,

There's another reason why this bill is a good idea. There is no end to what a corrupt mind can think of, is there?

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.