195 Why is CNN quoting leftist UK sources?

Comments

Tom Garrett 1 year, 7 months ago

I was startled to read a very negative article on CNN, one which was strongly against the development of drone aircraft. As you no doubt know, drone aircraft are our new weapons against terrorists. A drone can target terrorists who direct mass murder from safe houses located thousands of miles from the place where their butchery is taking place. And drones that can take out terrorists without putting American lives at risk.

Here are just a few short quotes from the CNN article:

"...how far [do] we want to delegate responsibility to machines?"

"...should [we] just sit back and accept our fate and hand over the ultimate responsibility for killing to machines?"

"...over the last few months there has been an increasing debate about the use of fully autonomous robot weapons: armed robots that once launched can select their own targets and kill them without further human intervention."

"...some have argued that robots could be more accurate on the battlefield than human soldiers and save more civilian lives. But this is speculation based on assumptions about future developments of computer hardware and software."

Consider the blatant lies you just read.

a. Drones are "autonomous."

Lie. Autonomous means "acting independently or having the freedom to do so." Drones are sent out to hit specific targets; they do not act independently.

b. Drones have the "responsibility" for what happens.

Lie. The "responsibility" for what a drone hits lies with the person who chooses the target.

c. Drones "select their own targets."

Lie. Drones do not select their own targets any more than your computer decides who you send e-mail to.

d. The belief that drones can be very accurate, saving human lives is based on "future developments."

Lie. Drones can pin-point targets thousands of miles away with great accuracy. That is a proven fact, not something based on future developments.

The CNN article ended with this: "Do you think autonomous robot weapons should be outlawed? Leave your comments below."

Puzzled, I asked myself, "Why did I just read a load of leftist propaganda on CNN?"

Answer? Here's who wrote the article:

"Editor's note: Noel Sharkey is Professor of Artificial Intelligence and Robotics and Professor of Public Engagement at the UK's University of Sheffield and Chairman of the International Committee for Robot Arms Control."

Want to get very angry? Go look up the International Committee for Robot Arms Control, see who started it, who runs it, and who each of the high ranking members is.

Tom Garrett 1 year, 7 months ago

By the way, in case you hadn't noticed some of the Brits are demonstrating against drone aricraft, which makes me wonder.

Why would they be demonstrating? No one is going to use a drone on them?

Who are they worried about?

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.