225 Mother of all bomb detectors.

Comments

Tom Garrett 1 year, 4 months ago

If ever there is anything that Iraq needs it is a device that can sniff out a bomb no matter how well it is concealed. Throughout the American occupation, and since, bombings have taken dozens, and sometimes hundreds, of lives daily. Fortunately for the newly formed republic a British firm designed the ultimate in explosive detection devices--the Cumberland ADE651®.

Consider its capabilities, as taken from Cumberland Industries Literature:

"Ignores All Known Concealment Methods. By programming the detection cards to specifically target a particular substance, (through the proprietary process of electro-static matching of the ionic charge and structure of the substance), the ADE651® will “by-pass” all known attempts to conceal the target substance. It has been shown to penetrate Lead, other metals, concrete, and other matter (including hiding in the body) used in attempts to block the attraction."

The answer to a prayer!

Iraq and a few other countries paid as much as £27,000 ($42,000) each for an easy to use, handheld device that could detect a car-bomb no matter how well hidden. In fact, once a driver had been corralled, had seen the ADE651 in the hands of a police operator, and been told that his sentence would not be as extreme if he pointed out the location of his bomb, some 20 to 30 percent of fanatic bombers simply gave it up.

Add to that the fact that the device operated on static electricity, required no batteries, could be maintained by its operator, and came with an ironclad three year warranty, and its rather hefty price seems cheap.

So simple to use! Walk in place for a few minutes to charge device. Turn antenna away from the object--car, box, house, anything, including human body--to be tested. Be sure device is on right side of your body as you move slowly and steadily. As antenna passes source, device will be irresistibly drawn to left with antenna pointing at explosives.

Wow! Sounds as easy as water dousing!

The only fly in the ointment was that nervousness of the operator could upset its sensitive mechanism, reducing positive hits to 20 to 30 percent.

Wait a minute! Where have I heard that number before?

Uh-oh!

And yes, you're right.

A $42,000 phony.

No moving parts. No genuine parts at all. Antenna not connected to anything.

It WAS water douser!

A bit miffed by the whole affair, a UK judge just put inventor and company founder James McCormick, who made $77.8 million on the device, in prison for ten years.

Those Brits! They never get it right. I'd have given him a pat on the back and no more than two or three weeks.

With the family of someone in Iraq that lost a loved one from a bomb his device failed to detect.

I guess I'm just easy.

frederick franz 1 year, 4 months ago

It looks like there are plenty of scum bags out there who will defraud. The damage to scientific discoveries and inventions can hurt many people. The $77.8 million which McCormick stole should be confiscated, so he would have no benefit from it when he is released from prison.

Pam Mason 1 year, 4 months ago

They had a law called "The Trade Descriptions Act" Any item sold had to match the full description given. The $77.8 Million should be passed onto a charity similar to our Wounded Warriors. Wonder if he will have an "accident" in the prison yard? Either way the authorities should not consider him for parole, but knowing how soft they are over there I very much doubt he will serve the ten years.

You're right, Fred. The thing is nothing more than a "water douser." You could get the same effect by using a wire coat hanger. There was absolutely no technology involved at all. How many people were killed by a bomb planted in a car that was passed by inspectors, in I do not know how many countries, I don't know, but there must have been many of them because that piece of junk was used for a long time in several places. How anyone could defraud governments on something that was so sure to cause death and injury to human brings I do not know.

Pam, The part I haven't heard is what they have done as far as his ill-gotten profits are concerned. I am very disturbed by laws that fine companies for what their employees do, but never fine or imprison the employees. This is a little different because he was the owner and he went to prison, but every nickel he earned with that piece of junk, every penny of interest he received by investing what he made, and the costs of clean up, repair, and medical care for those injured as a result ought to come out of his pocket. I'd be happy to hear that he was saddled with a $200 million dollar bill and required to pay every penny of it, working at hard labor until he was done.

Pam Mason 1 year, 4 months ago

Absolutely agree!

Here is a bit more info I pulled from BBC website

Reiterating the judge's comments from inside court, Mr Rock said: "McCormick's profits were obscene, and fed his greedy and extravagant lifestyle.

"And finally, and perhaps most importantly, he has shown no shame, he has shown no remorse, and he carried on with complete cavalier disregard for the consequences of his con-trick."

He said the next stage was to ensure that the "extravagant lifestyle is taken away" from McCormick, saying Iraqi authorities will now be "pursuing compensation through the civil court process in this country".

Thanks, Pam.

Yay!

At last! One of the blood sucking leeches gets what he deserves.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.