245 Wow a cool $1 billion lawsuit!

Comments

Tom Garrett 1 year, 6 months ago

I don't know how much you know about the academic world, but you probably have heard the expression "publish or perish" applied to getting and keeping a decent position in some universities--if, that is, teaching was not your actual reason for hiring on as a teacher.

"Publish or perish means pretty much what it says; it you don't get papers published in the world of "journals" you are not likely to rise high in the rarified atmosphere of the non-teaching collegiate world.

And yes, many people in "institutes of higher learning" are not there to pass on their knowledge to others. With my own eyes (but not in any university I either attended or taught in) I have seen a room with 250 or students in it where some "teaching assistant" rattled away while the "prof" sat in an office somewhere getting credit for it.

I have, by the way, taught as a graduate teaching assistant and enjoyed doing it, but the system was quite different from what I just described.

Anyway, to get ahead in the system, some people are forced to resort to online journals with--shall we say--less than spiffy credentials. One I've never heard of because I never got involved in the "pay-to-have-it-printed" world was mentioned in a New York Times article written by librarian Jeffrey Beall, who writes about what he calls "predatory" practices in the scholarly publishing industry.

Beall placed the OMICS Publishing Group on "Beall's List of Predatory Publishers 2013."

The group, taking umbrage, has threatened to sue Beall for a cool $1 billion.

Oh, my!

Beall warns wannabe profs about "publishers" who create scientific conferences which have names like established scientific conferences, but none of their prestige. He also warns that when "publishers" have dozens of journal websites, copy their submission guidelines word for word from legitimate journals, and charge hundreds of dollars to publish a study, they are not likely to be the best of the best.

Beall's New York Times article mentioned that the OMICS Group, and its director, Srinubabu Gedela have, "about 250 journals and charges authors as much as $2,700 per paper."

OMICS is based in India, so Beall is unlikely to have much to worry about unless he travels over there. And so far, according to NPR, "There has been no indication that a lawsuit has been filed."

Hm-m-m-m....

Would you be worried if you were Beall?

What is it about some people that they can't seem to resist turning things into a racket? It seems that no matter where you turn these days there is someone lurking in the shadows just waiting to steal your money.

What is it about some people that makes them that way?

I guess that's it, Pat.

But it always seems to me that it's hard work being a petty crook. Being a white collar crook, of which we have more than we have the other kind, is easy. But doing that the small crooks do? To me, that's hard work.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.