264 Looking a gift horse in the mouth?

Comments

Tom Garrett 1 year, 3 months ago

Did you read the letter complaining about the off-leash park provided by Payson for dogs?

Am I wrong or was that someone looking a gift horse in the mouth?

Maybe I'm out of date, but Payson is the only town of its size that I know of that provides a place like that.

Pat Randall 1 year, 3 months ago

If it is the one I read he is some kind of idiot.. There is great shade from trees. Chairs everywhere and always well kept. They don't need Ramadas and recliners for him to sit in. If he doesn't like it, then don't go there. Unless he has a real problem he can use his bathroom at home before he goes to the park. I am sure he probably doesn't stay long because he thinks it is so bad. The park is not provided by the town. The dog owners paid for the fence and improvements at the park. Payson only lets them use the land. He can go buy his own land and built a park for him and his dog.

The word in the last sentence was supposed to be BUILD.

Susan Daniels 1 year, 3 months ago

Presently, I don't have a dog and haven't for a long time. I never went to a dog park and really don't get it. Is is socializing for the owner or the dog? Do dogs really need to socialize? How do you, as the owner, keep track of your dog if you're socializing?

Personally, I don't want to be at a location with dogs running loose around me. I don't find that very enjoyable. A nice walk in the park would work for me.....right after using one of the plastic bags provided by the park to pick up....stuff.

Do the dog owners clean up after their dogs at the dog park? Just asking.

yes the dog owners clean up after thier dogs. I would like to take my dog to the dog park, but she is anti social. She needs exercise and I can't walk her so it would be wonderful.
I have a fenced yard but she can't run around in it because we are not allowed to have grass because we can't use water, only gravel and it cuts her feet. Mesa Del has lawns, horses, and cows all that use water bought from Payson. There is one little spot of natural dirt and I have paving blocks down so she can get to it.

One of the perks of not being in the town limits...less regulation.

Susan, What regulation are you talking about? If you use Payson water you aren't supposed to have grass. Hope you have your own well.

It is my understanding that living outside town limits there is less regulation. I'm new enough living here that I really don't know the ins and outs of Payson living.

Bernice Winandy 1 year, 3 months ago

Tom, dog parks might be the thing of the future. I can't remember (recurring problem) where it was located, but I was at a dog park with my daughter. The dog park was either in Phoenix or Peoria. The dogs were having a wonderful time. Yes, the owners were expected to clean up after the dogs. I had a wonderful time just watching the dogs interact.

I think:

a. It is nice of the city to provide the place.

b. Great of dog owners to care for it.

c. The complaint was over the top.

d. I am glad I do not own a dog. I'm with Seinfeld. He once said that if aliens ever come to Earth they will take one look at people walking around behind dogs and cleaning up that...uh, stuff and they will bow down to the dogs, who they will assume are masters of the planet. :-)

"...we are not allowed to have grass because we can't use water..."

Pat, there's a simple way around that. Buy a house. Mow the weeds down to between four to four and a half inches. Do it as often as needed to keep things neat. By natural selection the grass will seed at a lower height that the weeds.** The weeds will slowly disappear. Soon you will have a fine green lawn. No watering necessary. The grass that grows will be naturally drought resistant because it is native to the area. Come see my lawn. No watering. Looks great. All year.

"One of the perks of not being in the town limits...less regulation."

..regulation...

Hm-m-m....

..regulation...

Hm-m-m-m-m........

..regulation...

Hm-m-m-m-mm-m-m-m........

That's a new one on me. I always spell it this way: s-t-u-p-i-d-i-t-y

"...I really don't know the ins and outs of Payson living."

I do. Drive IN. Shop. Drive OUT. We planned to move into Payson itself, but as we watched the changes and the mushrooming of over-controlling oridnances over 15 years we changed our minds.

Wasn't always that way. You should have seen it before 1999. Or better still, in 1983, Or even better than that, in 1958 (900 people). Go to CLRSearch.com. Look up after what date 94% of the people in Payson moved in. The other 6% arrived in 1998 or earlier. (Pat, I'll bet you didn't know you were a member of such an exclusive group.)

"Yes, the owners were expected to clean up after the dogs."

Thank you, Bernice. Knowing people as I do. I thank you for putting that very important word in that sentence.

** Except for obnoxious foxtail. Foxtail had two modes, tall and sprawling. Pull out every foxtail you see. They spread. But once they are gone that's pretty much that. I pulled out thousands of them in 1998 and 1999. I now pull maybe two or three each year.

Tom, If it is Bermuda grass we are not allowed to do what you said.
the Czar says no grass! I know you can go anywhere with no seed but a little moisture and Bermuda grass will grow. Is that what you have?

Pat, the czar can't say no grass. He can only say no watering.

And I did not say to plant grass seed. I said to mow the area and let God do the rest.

I have a mix of grasses. Depends on the season. In winter it's rye grass; beautiful, lush, and green. In summer it's a mix. I have never bothered to see what the mix is. Don't care. The yard was wild before I fenced it. There's a small 90 X 30 area just back of my fence that I keep mowed as a fire break. It is also now becoming a lawn. It would be one already but I only mow it as needed.

I forgot to mention that you have to have a grass catcher on the mower and you have to empty the catcher in the trash. The reason is that when you mow you pickup all the seed heads which are above four to four and half inches high, thereby stopping the weed seeds from spreading. It's really easy. Works fine, and uses no water because it is native grasses.

And come to think of it, if Payson now has all the water in the world as it claims, why isn't the ordinance being changed?

Because they are selling water to Mesa Del and no telling what other deals have been made. The water is being saved for all the growth we are going to have when ASU gets here. Tom you just don't understand Payson politics. They are now going to allow storage bins, trailers, almost anything you want on your lot. Of course if you are in a subdivision that has an HOA that will stop part of that. MAYBE! I think the reason they are changing all the ordinances is because they don't enforce what they have. That is why Payson is becoming junk city. The sign ordinace went to hell. It looks like you are driving past a carnival or something with all the A frame signs, bobbing men or whatever they are, waving colored rags and people standing on the streets waving signs. Oh what a beautiful entrance we have into Payson. Most of the junk stores have half their merchandise out on the sidewalks. The few stores that are left in business. To bad we can't go back to the good old clean cowboy town we once were.

don evans 1 year, 3 months ago

Have you looked at the front grounds of the Payson Chamber Office at Beeline and Main St. So many metal frame ground sounds you may get into a car wreck from someone trying to read them driving by. Looks like crap to me....

"Tom you just don't understand Payson politics."

No doubt. I don't understand half of what goes on here, so that must be true. I thought I was moving to a small rural community like so many of them I have lived in before, where there ordinances coould have been written down on two pages and people by and large never so much as even read the newspaper articles about what the town council said. Nothing was broken, so nothing was being fixed. Just business as usual.

The way things look here it seems that we are living the dire warnings I have read in sociology course textbooks. Want to hear the main one? The problems of today are created by the solutions to the problems of yesterday. In other words, leave well enough alone.

As to "living" in a place with an HOA, that's not living, that's enduring. That's the kind of small minded mentally we all hate. Live and let live. That's the way to serve the people instead of creating a mold and trying to force everyone to fit it. I resided in a place with an HOA once. The only defense was to run for the board and get rid of the crap.

We do not need most ordinances. If something is a genuine eyesore that in some way harms someone, then it's simple enough to act on it: File a suit in small claims court. Payson can do that, and so can any private citizen. If the situation is more serious that that, then Payson can file in a higher court. If there is something serious wrong the court will handle it; if it's nothing but a matter of taste then the court will find for the defendant. Simple.

When the Town Council begins writing ordinances to make the rest of the world as perfect as they are they are not representing the people, they are trying to train the people to be perfect, to whip the peasants into shape.

"To bad we can't go back to the good old clean cowboy town we once were."

Exactly. Small town. No ordinances. None needed.

Don, you said it all.

You know the one and only town in Arizona which I genuinely dislike? Scottsdale. And what I am seeing here is a small town trying to turn itself into another snobbish enclave like it.

Why are there always people who think that their taste is perfect?

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.