256 Sorry, old folks. You're all sick, sick, sick!

Comments

Tom Garrett 10 months, 1 week ago

Sorry, folks, according to the new psychiatric manual of mental disorders issued by the American Psychiatric Association we are one and all, old or young, sick.

For example, if you grieve right after a loved one dies you are guilty of "major depression."

And you no longer have senior moments; you now have a "neurocognitive disorder."

And a kid that throws temper tantrums is guilty of "disruptive mood dysregulation disorder."

And hey, this is no joke.

For one thing, diagnosing as major depression the extreme sadness, weight loss, fatigue and trouble sleeping some people experience after a loved one's death is dangerous. Major depression is typically treated with powerful antidepressants, and once you on those things it is not easy to get off them again.

If you worry about pain if you get cancer you may find yourself diagnosed as suffering from "somatic symptom disorder."

Needless to say, critics all over the world, much less all over the country say that creating such new term turns normal reactions into mental illnesses, with legal and medical ramifications.

Dr. Allen Frances is a retired Duke University professor who headed the psychiatry group's task force that worked on the previous handbook. He says the new version adds new diagnoses "that would turn everyday anxiety, eccentricity, forgetting and bad eating habits into mental disorders."

Even the head of the U.S. National Institute of Mental Health complains that the book lacks scientific validity. Dr. Thomas Insel, Director of NIMH, says the guidebook is no better than a dictionary-like list of labels and definitions.

He told The Associated Press he favors a very different approach to diagnosis that is based more on biological information, similar to how doctors diagnose heart disease or problems with other organs.

What do you figure the psychiatric industry is up to?

There's got to be a reason why someone would do something so outrageous.

frederick franz 10 months, 1 week ago

This sounds to me like some wise-ass university graduate is submitting a bulletin, to be published in one of the important medical journals. Medical students do this stuff for credit toward graduation and degree certificates. Researchers get to do this stuff for a living!

Pat Randall 10 months, 1 week ago

They do it to prescribe new pills. We are sick and forgetful because of the pills given to cover symptoms instead of curing what is wrong with us. Seen it happen in my family. I had a long tirade here but forgot and hit the wrong button and erased it all. No I do not take anti-depressents. High blood pressure medicine. I read where they are not going to use the diagnosis of ADHD any more, but I am sure they will find something so the kids will still be knocked out. Bring back P E to all grades in school and the kids will get rid of some of that extra energy. Kids are not supposed to sit still all day so the teacher can daydream and not be bothered. I can understand why tests grades are low. Half the kids are on some kind of prescription.

Tom Garrett 10 months ago

You're both right. It's just another way for another group of amoral individuals to make more money. Until we somehow or other get back in control of the nation we are going to see more and more of this kind of self-serving garbage.

If you really want to know what psychiatrists have become, read "The Making of a Psychiatrist," written by a brilliant and scrupulously honest young man who chose psychiatry and was shocked out his mind by what he saw on the way to his certification.

It is truly an eye-opener.

Pat Randall 10 months ago

Years ago a psychiatrist would sit and talk with you. No pills. Most times talking with someone that is not going to gossip about you is all you need. Not pills to zonk you out. Now you walk in the door and they ask you what kind of pills do you want? That doesn't solve the problem, only makes you worse. You need to get your problem solved, not walk around like a zombie with the problem still bothering you.

I have something to do tomorrow, so I am posting this late on Saturday. See you Monday.

Amen, Pat!

I'll give you an example. I don't know why this happened; it has never happened to me before that I know of. Today I felt terrible. I could not concentrate. I wasn't worth the powder to blow me off the planet. It was ba-a-ad! I was sick and didn't know why.

I did all my usual daily chores. No help. I went for a walk. No help. I slept a while. No help.

I came to the conclusion that I was suffering from depression. And boy! That is bad stuff!

I happened to go outside because I had wanted to keep the walk down to halfway around the long block I live on because my hip is giving me trouble, but was in such bad mental shape that when I went for the walk I could not remember the combination on the lock to the back gate and so had to go farther than I wanted to. So I went outside after I had slept a while to look at the lock and refresh my memory.

While out there I saw that the outside workbench I built years ago--a heavy six foot long thing--was leaning to one side. It sits on a very slight slope and gravity will do that to screws and whatnot after a long time.

"I'll fix that tomorrow," I said to myself.

Then I stopped. "Like hell," I said. "I'll fix it right now."

Well, I didn't quite get the job done (which is why I have something to do tomorrow), but hard work in the hot sun, I can tell you, is a sure cure for depression.

I figured out why. You know what's different about doing something like that and posting comments about the government on this, or any other, forum?

I can FIX that workbench.

Think about that.

Pat Randall 10 months ago

We need to fix our town before we try to fix the world.

I get your meaning, Pat.

We can fix Payson. The world will take a day or two more, right?

That's like the advice I read somewhere once. It said that if there was something wrong with everyone in the world a good place to start fixing it is by looking in the mirror and doing what you could about the person you see in there.

Bottom line in all this?

By readjusting the definition of "sick" the powers that be gain more control over us.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.