265 Right! It's broken. Let's fix it.

Comments

Tom Garrett 1 year, 6 months ago

I recently read a letter about our immigration system. Here's part of what it said.

"Everyone agrees that something must be done regarding our outdated and ineffective immigration system..."

So far, no argument. The system is outdated because it does not make sneaking across the border a felony, which it should. Onece that's done the flow of illegals will stop. But something tells me that the person who made the comment had something else in mind.

And this?

"...updating our country’s legal immigration system so that the best and brightest can stay in our country and work in the highly specialized fields we need them in."

Are you kidding? That's pure propaganda, nothing less than sound bites collected from talking heads. Since when do we have a shortage of people in highly specialized fields? Right now we have thousands of engineers out of work because their companies were sent overseas.

If there were any shortage--which there isn't--how would allowing unskilled laborers to sneak across our borders to get low paying jobs solve it?

Pat Randall 1 year, 6 months ago

People keep saying the citizens won't work for the wages illegals do. Well I suggest quit giving them unemployment for almost two years, and the rest of the freebies and they will work. The illegals have the jobs and freebies too. Fine the employers that hire illegals. After 5 times, close their business for 6 months. They will soon find it is cheaper to pay citizens a good wage than to pay the fines for illegals. Darn I'm smart. Such a simple solution. (:

Most people that draw unemployment say well I paid for it. NO THEY DIDN'T ! THE EMPLOYERS PAY IT. and the more claims they have the higher the ins. next year.

Not every one starts at the top. First you have to prove you will work and do the best you can, then go on to a higher paying job. Who says you have to have tattoos, cigarettes, 2 TVs, cell phones, boats and all the other things most of us worked 20 yrs or more for them. Start small. People have thier hand out and then spend $50.oo for a tattoo. Do they deserve all the freebies they get?

Ronald Hamric 1 year, 6 months ago

Pat, Your observations are pretty right on, but your method of fixing the problem is seen a way to draconian. People really need to do some research on just who the "Elephant in the Living Room" is in this debate over how we as a nation should deal with the 12 million "illegal" aliens residing in our country. The United States Chamber of Commerce is that 'elephant". That organization, representing thousands of it's members via lobbying and political spending, want the free flow of cheap, exploitable labor (read that "illegal aliens") for their members in order for them to improve their "bottom line". Now those on the Left will forever point their fingers as really large corporations as the evil ones in our Capitalist system, but alas, it is simply a fact that it is the small business people who have very tight profit margins that are driving the influx of illegal aliens into this nation and their "Elephant" is working silently behind the scenes to provide them with that very labor source. I sense that even the traditional labor unions, that at one time filled a very necessary niche in our labor market, are finally seeing for themselves just who it is that is keeping Americans (and their expected 'fair wage") out of the competition.

Pat Randall 1 year, 6 months ago

Ronald, All business started out small. Some grew and some didn't. Some people want to work and get ahead, others could care less.
Get rid of the illegals by whatever means it takes. Don't give them any help to stay here. Weren't you the one that said hospitals in S. Calif. closed because of all the free health care to illegals they were unable to stay open? Sit in the ER here in Payson for a few days and watch. Or at the county health dept. Don't let them be citizens just because they were born here from illegals.
Do you think you could go to thier country and have free medical, food and all the other things they get here? Try it. If it was possible the first thing you would have to do is learn to speak thier language. Who said it was our job to take care of the world? We aren't doing a very good job of taking care of our own country. But it is still the best in the world. Every thing has been researched to death. Time for action. Line the borders with military if that is what it takes. We seem to be able to go thousands of miles to protect some other countries borders. Yes I am ranting again this morning.

Ronald Hamric 1 year, 6 months ago

Pat, You know I agree with you on this matter. The reality is that those in charge in Washington DC have a very self-serving view of this illegal alien issue. Remember who you elected into office up there? How does that individual's views on illegal immigrants square with yours and mine? The only solution to the problem is to elect someone who says they will fix the problem the way the majority of Americans want it fixed, and actually do what they say. Not likely as politicians learn the art of lies and deceit long before they stand for Federal office.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.