284 Something to think about.

Comments

Tom Garrett 10 months, 1 week ago

We have been talking, on and off, about something we all know is true: Our government has run off the rails. People are getting really worried. There is even talk of revolution in the air.

If you think you're seen a lot of people on the forum who were worried about what is happening, and worried that it might get so bad it might come to actual armed fighting, you haven't seen anything. Go out on the net and start reading. Skip the fruitloop sites; go read some of the serious minded--and deeply worried--comments made by people like you who want nothing more than peace. It will genuinely scare you.

I bring this up because I read something today--in fact just minutes ago--that really made me stop and think. To the uninitiated it would appear that one of my favorite authors, Bryan Perrett, an English author who has written at least 30 books, writes about wars and battles, but that's a misperception; what he really writes about is people. His titles--"Last Stand," "At All Costs," "Seize and Hold," "Against all Odds," and many, many others will tell you that.

I am reading his "Heroes of the Hour," had just finished the first chapter (on, of all people, Benedict Arnold), had skipped to Chapter 3, which is about a little known French General I was curious about, and I came across these opening words:

"When the French troops who had served in America during the War of Independence returned to France they brought with them concepts of freedom which until then were unimaginable to the average citizen. This infusion of ideas is sometimes regarded as being one of the principal causes of the French Revolution, but it can also be seen as an accelerant to a process of historic inevitability."

read on

"The manner in which France was governed was reactionary, corrupt, unjust, and controlled by those few who had a vested interest in the status quo. The burden of taxation rested most heavily on those who could least afford it, yet there were sections of the wealthy who were exempted from tax altogether. Reforms were desperately needed, but the cost of a recent war had left the national exchequer all but bankrupt, and even if funds had been available the will to implement them was absent. France was a powder magazine waiting to explode."

If find that paragraph to be particularly chilling because it so perfectly describes America in 2013. I haven't changed a word, and yet it sound as thought it was written yesterday.

• corrupt, unjust

• controlled by a few with a vested interest in the status quo

• burden of taxation resting on those who can least afford it

• sections of the wealthy who are exempted

• reforms desperately needed

• cost of a recent war ... all but bankrupt

• the will to implement them absent

• a powder magazine waiting to explode

It's like reliving history.

I don't know about you, but at 5:46 p.m. on 14 Jun, 2013 I find that scary as hell.

I suppose I'm naive. I just don't understand greed. Isn't it better to be able to look yourself in the mirror and not be ashamed of what you see?

Anyway, how much is enough? How much can you eat? How much clothing can you wear? How much room do you need to live a safe, happy, comfortable life?

My thinking always goes back to the CEO who is making $143 million a year. I can't for the life of me imagine why some corporation head could pay himself that much and not cut his throat while shaving some morning. What could you conceivably do with it? How could you conceivably earn it?

That's $392,000 a day. You could work one day and take the rest of the year off.

Not only that, but what could any one person do that would be worth that kind of salary? You could hire 2,860 people at $50,000 apiece for that much. Are you trying to tell me that 2,860 people couldn't do a better job of whatever he does than he does? Wouldn't the company be better off hiring those 2,860 people? Wouldn;t the nation be better off?

As for what he does, from what I've read in the autobiographies of such people what it amounts to is sitting on your adze and cutting down those who look like they might be competition for your job. If there is any actual planning or thinking involved it's done by ordinary people making quite ordinary salaries. The CEO is usually the one person who can be let go without anyone noticing that it happened.

I do not understand greed. I DO understand hard work, the need to succeed, the urge to make the organization you work for the best there is, the willingness to give your all, and even the desire to be rewarded for what you do. But that kind of greed is beyond me.

Honest to God. There is plenty for all is this land of ours. Why go through 1776 all over again?

But if you do, will you please wait a few years so that I don't have to see it?

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.