258 The latest news on roach evolution.

Comments

Tom Garrett 10 months, 1 week ago

No, I am not talking about how things are going in Congress or the White House. Sorry, those roaches don't change much. :-)

No, it's the real ones I'm talking about. The ones with who sneak around trying to grab a handout in someone's kitchen.

If you buy a roach motel to get rid of roaches you should read the label. They are often made with a little sweetener added to a poison, the "sweetener" as likely as not being glucose.

If you see glucose on the label, put the roach motel back on the shelf. Roaches have evolved. Instead of tasting sweet to them and convincing them to pig out, glucose tastes bitter to roaches that have survived the battle over who actually owns the places we build.

Anyway, the best way to get rid of roaches is to spread ordinary harmless boric acid under baseboards, back of switch plates and power outlets, and in other dark spots that roaches frequent. Roaches will walk in the powder, get rid of it by cleaning their legs with their mandibles, and die of a case of severe indigestion.

Stuff lasts forever too. It'll take a little while to knock off the adults and then get the eggs that hatch, but if you do a thorough job, you'll never have to do it again. One treatment is forever.

Don't, by the way, just toss the powder in corners. It's not particularly poisonous, but dogs--as you no doubt know--will eat anything**. Plus which, if the stuff gets on household pets they may lick it off to get rid of it.

You may, if you like, go to Washington and sprinkle some around. Who knows? Might work. :-)

**If you want proof of that just ask me, and I'll tell you a verifiable truth that will really breaks you up.

frederick franz 10 months, 1 week ago

Here in Grants Pass, we made a law against roaches but it did no good. :-) So, Tom, what is your verifiable truth?

Tom Garrett 10 months, 1 week ago

Okay, you asked for it, Fred, but this is going to paint a picture you don't want to see.

I have read about dogs being a nuisance in more than one book of Arctic exploration. It seems that dogs can be a pest when some explorer goes off by himself to do what we all have to do as a result of all that nice filling food we eat. They circle around, just waiting for a warm tasty treat to drop. Sometimes they get into quite a scrap over it. Some explorers have complained that the situation was downright dangerous at times.

A law against roaches?

Ah! I see. The ones that glow in the dark.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.