282 This sounds like an all-western problem.

Comments

Tom Garrett 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Most western states have low populations, with most of that population jammed into one or two large cities. As a result, the cities control the entire state.

Eight of the northern counties in Colorado, a state run by a predominantly Democratic legislature are fed up with the situation. They want to--yes you are reading what you think you are reading--secede from the state. Not only that, but there are parts of southern Nebraska which would like to join them, forming a largely agricultural 51st state.

"This is not a stunt," Weld County Commissioner Sean Conway says. "This is a very serious deliberative discussion that's going on. There's a real feeling that a lot of folks who come from the urban areas don't appreciate the contribution that many Coloradans make."

Considering the fact that 5 of our 50 states were formed exactly the same way, making two states out of one is not as odd as it may sound at first glance.

Conway says the proposal is "likely" to end up on a Colorado ballot this fall.

Something to watch, no?

What do you think of the idea?

John Lemon 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Tom. I think that is a decision to be made by those who live in that area. The prospects fro success for such a movement are slim at best because the urban areas have enough votes to win any referendum. The situation is similar in California and in Oregon. In both states there were efforts to split. In Cal. the North saw lots of their water going South. In Oregon the rural (and Conservative) areas of the state seem to be dominated by urban Portland area. Nothing ever came of the efforts.

Pat Randall 9 months, 3 weeks ago

It never thought that a county in Ariz. would be split but it happened. Yuma county split into two counties. Anything can happen.

In a vote on the splitting of a county into two parts, or the separation of counties from the state, the only people who should be allowed are those who reside in the county.

What sense does it make to let people who do not live somewhere decide what the people of some area should do. That goes against the most fundamental principle on which the original United Nation was formed: Self determination. If we enforced that around the world, which was the original intent, most of the wars we have seen since 1948 would never have happened. That's why self determination was a principle of the Atlantic Charter, and then of the U.N.

Think of all the wars and other troubles we have had to live through because that principle has not been honored as we said it would after WWII. Korea, Vietnam, Palestine, Iran, Iraq, TIbet, Mongolia, Burma, Sudan, Russia, Syria, and so on.

Let people decide who they are, who they want to rule them, and how. And enforce it! If it becomes necessary because some people is being held under the thumb of a powerful few, go in and force fair and open elections.

There is no other route to peace. People have a natural right to be who and what they are as long as they harm no one else.

Pat Randall 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Why don't we start with HOAs or as they call it where I live an Architecture Design committee? I had to sell my Wave Runners, was not allowed to keep them in the driveway. My pickup is at a neighbors house because I can't park it on the street and I have a 22 ft. enclosed car haulilng trailer stored that my husband had his 32 Ford pickup in. I asked if I could build a chain link fence, was told yes and then when the post were set in concrete, I was told no I couldn't have it. Was fed up so told them where they could go and if they didn't like my fence, sue me. Haven't heard anything in almost 3 yrs.

Pat,

It's control! Control! Control!

In Washington. In the state legislature, the city council, and now even the neighborhood.

Small minds, big mouths!

Tom Garrett 9 months ago

Hey! It's beginning to look like this could actually happen!

Ten counties started talking about seceding last month. Now some people in Lincoln and Cheyenne counties say they want to join a new state they'd call "North Colorado," reports CBS Denver station KCNC-TV.

Representatives from the 10 counties held a meeting on Monday in the town of Akron in Weld County to begin mapping the boundaries for the new state they say will represent the interests of rural Colorado.

In addition, organizers say three other Colorado counties and two in Kansas have said they may join the secession movement. Previously, officials said parts of Nebraska also expressed interest in joining in on what would be a new state. They hope to put the idea to voters as early as this November.

Makes sense to me. If your state legislature is so one sided that you feel it does not in any way represnt you, then why not just form your own state?

Beats having a revolution, doesn't it?

Tom Garrett 9 months ago

If this were to work out, and Colorado split itself so as to get better representation for some of its people we could at last have a threat to use on legislatures that don't listen to us. We could ask them, "What are you asking for, another Colorado split?"

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.