287 Live on light?

Comments

Tom Garrett 9 months, 3 weeks ago

First a quote from the Seattle Times:

Quote:

After dropping about 20 percent of her body weight, Naveena Shine, the 65-year-old Eastside woman who got worldwide publicity for trying to just live on light and no food, is calling it quits with her grand experiment.

Monday was Day No. 45 of no food, just water and tea “with a splash of milk.”

Shine had dropped to 126 pounds from her original weight of 159 pounds on her 5-foot, 4-inch frame.

Unquote

Where did she get such an idea?

There's a New Age belief called “breatharianism” that sunshine can substitute for food. Photosynthesis, you know? Four deaths have been linked to people who tried it.

I suppose they were thinking, "Well, if plants can do it, why can't we?"

I will admit that humans are smarter than plants---usually. But I also have to ask why folks who come up with such an outlandish idea don't just go read a book. It's cheaper than buying a coffin.

Sure, the sun provides energy for photosynthesis, but plants take in nutrients that they use to make food--air, water, and minerals. They take those things apart, put them back together in a different form, and come up with things like sugar, cellulose, and whatnot. They use a catalyst called chlorophyll to do the job.

There are even some tiny one-cell creatures called euglena that swim around in ponds which are actually animals, but can do the same thing. But they cheat. They have tiny plant structures called chloroplasts in them--same as plants.

They're pretty little things, those euglena, drop-shaped, green with little translucent colored blobs floating around inside them, and a tail which propels them through the water and looks like it was stolen from Mickey Mouse. Go take a look at them. Fun stuff.

But sorry, Naveena, us hummin beans ain't got no chloroplasts.

What we get when we stand in the sun is sunburn.

Nice try, Naveena. We love you and we respect your beliefs, and putting your life on the line to test them takes courage, but while I admit that breatharianism can be very powerful at times, I suspect a breath mint is a better solution than standing in the sun for 45 days.

Have a good one.

frederick franz 9 months, 3 weeks ago

Regarding the effect of sunlight, it has a lot of ultra-violet radiation in it. It can cause serious burning of human skin. I came across an archive which showed a picture of a woman standing in front of a "Suntan Machine". She was holding an UV lamp near her bare arm. She had no eye protection. The medical charlatans had a good time with this kind of thing, and they are apparently still at their mischief!

Bernice Winandy 9 months, 3 weeks ago

It is amazing what some people will believe. Why some people even believe costs projected on the local level by school boards, water board districts, and on the national level by senators, congressmen, presidents, etc.

frederick franz 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I try to keep a close watch on scams and frauds. If enough of us do this, it will help keep people aware...!

Tom Garrett 9 months, 2 weeks ago

It IS hard to understand how people can believe such outrageous things, isn't it? It just boggles my mind, but you see these things at times.

Bernice, I hear you talking! I just read Ray Pugel's comments on Pine Water and immediately had two fundamental questions.

• How do leaks in tanks justify tearing up the entire system? Why not just repair or replace the tanks? But only as needed, please. And as verified by the one person we have on the board who has our confidence, not to enrich someone's buddy who is a pipe manufacturer or contractor.

• If 31% of all the water pumped up out of the ground by PSWID does not get to meters why are there some very large, and VERY obvious leaks showing? Every time we get a leak in our area that is losing two cups a day it is so obvious that a blind man could go around patting the ground and find it. The pipes are not deep underground where massive leaks like that would not show, so that kind of leak would show up immediately. And I would like very much to see the actual data proving that. It was at one time true that a large amount of water was being lost, but that was because Brooke had conveniently "forgotten" that a development in Strawberry, whose water system became part of the water company, had left wide open a four inch pipe to create lakes in Strawberry which dried up when Project Magnolia found the pipe and capped it.

Mind you, if a leak of that size, which was huge, but was nowhere near the size of the leaks claimed at the moment, created lakes on which you could paddle a canoe I'd really like to know how we are missing the leaks which are being created by the loss of almost one third of everything we pump.

Hm-m-m-m....

Third question.

• Is someone perhaps fudging the numbers regarding how much we are getting out of a couple of bummer wells we paid megabucks for?

Frankly, I'll believe all that stuff right after I start believing in breatharianism.

Bernice Winandy 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Tom, those are good questions deserving honest answers. Let's see if we get any. It is time to get unembellished answers. We want answers that simply tell is the whole story. We don't want ones that put a pretty face on something now that will leave us discovering the ugly truth sometime in the future.

If the wells are not living up to pre purchase promise, be truthful about it. The people who voted to purchase the wells are probably just as disappointed as the rest of the community. So be truthful. Tell us the whole truth and then we can work together to develop a plan that works. DON'T TRY TO COVER UP!!!

Pat Randall 9 months, 2 weeks ago

No one answered my questions about who and where they test the water. Is it checked before or after it goes into the storage tanks and is it checked at different places? Is it checked after repairs are done? Are all wells checked and how often, and who checks them? If any or all are checked, who does it, the water company or an outside company? Are the reports available to water users? You all may be drinking horse and cow urine or worse. pesticides, e-coli. If I was using water from there I would insist on seeing all reports.

Pat,

The water is very carefully checked after it goes through your system. :-)

Actually, to be honest I'm sure the company we hire to run the system does a good job of checking as required by state law and common decency. They're good folks. Whether they are allowed to share what they find with the general public is a different story.

As sad as it is to have to say it, if Lolly were well I would leave Pine and move elsewhere.

Tom, The tests should be public information. I know the well we were on in Tonto Basin, the owner of the well had 5 days to notify all users if there was something in the water. You are not just the general public, you are the people drinking, and bathing in the water. It doesn't make any difference, if they are good folks, they have to know what they are doing. Who ever tests it has to know how. They can't just walk in off the street go fill a container and send it to the lab.

Back when Brooke Utility owned the water company we used to get regular reports in the mail of the water tests. The ACC required them. I don't remember seeing them since then.

Point made ! That is the first thing I would get on the agenda of the next meeting.

Pam Mason 9 months, 2 weeks ago

There was a large spread just recently in the Payson Roundup in the legal section giving some information on the latest PSWID water quality report. It may have been posted on their website as well. CH2M Hill are following the guidelines.

Pam, Not everyone gets the newspaper or has a computer. I don't have a clue what the website is. Maybe it would be better if the information was posted at the post office or mailed to the customers. Seems if Brooks was required to mail them as Tom posted so would PSWID.

Thanks, Pam. It's nice to have a good source of trustworthy information. I felt sure that CH2M Hill would do whatever they were supposed to do. I've had a couple of minor interactions with them and they seemed not only professional, but doggone easy to deal with. I like that. It's great to put down the phone with a good feeling. Happens all too seldom these days.

Pat, you make a good point. I'm sure the people who actually run the office would be happy to send out data if they were allowed. It seems to me that sometime or other I may have run across some kind of bulletin from them. I do not remember whether it was on paper or online. Could be either or both. I will say this, though. The more you talk to the people of a community about what you're doing in their best interests--keeping them in the loop as it were--the less flack you are going to have.

I know that is contrary to the thinking of some politicians, who feel that the more you tell people the more they have to complain about, but I still think that a simple straightforward, on-paper, bulletin is a good idea.

Winston Churchill--a wise man--once said, "It is not enough to be right, one must be seen to be right."

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.