307 I'd really like to hear your opinion about this one.

Comments

Tom Garrett 9 months ago

A man was charged with stabbing his mother and father to death. DNA evidence linking him to the killings was found at the murder scene in the apartment of his parents.

However, the man was an identical twin, and claimed that his twin brother--who shares the identical DNA, of course--was guilty.

What to do?

The prosecution showed that the accused wanted money from his inheritance in order to pay heavy gambling debts.

Okay-y-y-y, but.....

They also searched his computer and found that he had searched online for tips including "murder for inheritance," "how to kill your parents and get away with it, "and "can soap clean DNA from a knife?"

The man said he made the searches out of "academic curiosity," but on the basis of the computer searches, the DNA, and some other physical evidence, the man (this is a real case) was just sentenced to life imprisonment.

What is interesting is that case is that it has always been put forth as a classical dilemma that it would be forever impossible to convict either of two identical twins on DNA evidence.

How do you feel about all this?

Ronald Hamric 9 months ago

Tom, Evidence beyond a reasonable doubt. As happens in a lot of cases, we the public do not get near the evidence and testimony that the jury gets. Although we all know of cases where things simply made a laughing stock of our jury system, at some point we have to dance with them that brung us (my redneck must be glowing;-) )

Tom Garrett 9 months ago

Right, Ron. We have to decide how much, and what, evidence is enough. In this case I think that what they had was surely enough.

I mean, after all, do you go out on the net and read information on how to shoot the sheriff? If you did, wouldn't it be reasonable if there were other strong evidence point toward you that you just might be the one who did it?

Have to draw the line somewhere.

Bernice Winandy 9 months ago

Identical twins, identical DNA. Where do you get these stories, Tom?

I just thought of something. Two teenagers got into a dispute that erupted from pushing to fisticuffs. When they were pulled apart, the one teenage said, "I' ll kill you if you ever do anything like that again." That teenager was expelled from school for that statement on the basis that he threatened to kill someone. The other teenager was suspended for limited period of time for fighting.

O, yes, I forgot to mention the fight took place in school during school hours.

I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.

Tom Garrett 9 months ago

"Identical twins, identical DNA. Where do you get these stories, Tom?"

I sure don't get them by watching the identical news on all the TV stations every day. :-)

Truth is, I've learned to use the internet in ways that get me around the fluff and the headlines. I try to go to direct sources, which is not always easy, and is sometimes impossible. And I look at the "non-news," for example the weekly report on the FBI website, where they simply report the ten biggest cases they handled that week. That isn't always what the mainstream media would call "news" because it isn't necessarily BAD news. But it is important news because it balances out the bad news with a look at what is really going on. Much of the news about terrorists, crooked politicians, and other matters that would do us great harm if they were not contained does not make it into the mainstream media because it doesn't meet their standards for hype and tripe.

It may, for example, surprise you to find this out, but Wikipedia actually reports on news incidents, and does it in what is a fair and reliable manner. Go look at their report on the Zimmerman case, which I have deliberately not commented on because I felt it was too racial. You'll find more genuine information in those several pages than you have heard in all the sound bites, and seen in all the edited tapes, on the mainstream media put together. And that report won't end where it is; it will be regularly brought up to date.

Ron, you said it right, though I am going to look at the observe of what you said.

If we do not speak up and kill that bill once and for all we will be slaves to words we should have said. We ARE masters of our unspoken words, and if we do not speak up this time we will forever regret it.

Tom, That quote was in reference to Bernice's post "I'll kill you if you ever do anything like that again." "That teenager was expelled from school for that statement on the basis that he threatened to kill someone. " In other words, he uttered those words and he now has to accept the consequences for having done so. To me that's fair.

Tom Garrett 9 months ago

I thought I'd add some facts here. Reason: I keep harping on illegals so much that someone could get the mistaken impression that I am anti-Hispanic. People who know me -- and I count any regular reader of this forum in that group -- know me well enough to know that is not true. It just isn't me.

On top of that, although it is true, of course, that the majority of illegals here come from Mexico, the Mexicans get a bum rap where numbers are concerned because most people think they are perhaps as much as 90 to 95% of the problem. Yes, Mexicans are a large part of the problem, and we all know why; they have problems down there and coming here is a great way to get away from them. Besides that, we share a large, common border with Mexico. But the numbers show a wholly different situation from what most people believe.

What percentage of illegals came here from Mexico? 62% How many is that? 6,500,000

Are there other Hispanics? Yes. In fact definitely! There are about 1,650,00 other Hispanics here illegally, coming from -- in order of highest numbers -- El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Ecuador, and Brazil.

But check these numbers:

Philippines 270,000; India 200,000; Korea 200,000, China 120,000.

And we have 1,650,000 illegals from other nations as well!

So for every illegal Mexican we have here, we have -- very roughly speaking -- an illegal from somewhere else. In other words, if we erected a wall 200 feet high along our southern border and armed it with machine guns it would only stop half the problem of illegals coming into our country. That's why all the talk in DC about "strengthening the border" along with their crappy bill is just that --talk! And they know it!

The way to stop illegal immigration is to make it a felony, which it certainly should be since it is a felony elsewhere. So why not here? It's a felony to come into my house and steal my property. Why should it not be a felony to come into my country and steal -- among other things -- my vote?

Pat Randall 9 months ago

Clean up the southern border then start on the rest.

Tom, Quite a few of those "other than Mexican" come here via the Southern border. Admittedly, most of the Asians and Indians prefer to come through Canada or smuggled through our shipping ports, but the border with Mexico is by an large the biggest leak in our border security. Many of those here "illegally" are people overstaying their work permits or temporary visas. The problem is huge and I have always felt that the United States Chamber of Commerce is behind much of the "please look the other way you immigration enforcement folks" .

Tom Garrett 9 months ago

Right, Ron. They do come here across the southern border. It's one of the best paying businesses down there.

"I have always felt that the United States Chamber of Commerce is behind much of the "please look the other way you immigration enforcement folks" ."

How right you are! You only have to look at the so-called "reform" bill which actually includes 100,000 extra added visas for Indians and Chinese to come here and take high tech jobs away from Americans. You know why that's in there? To get GOP votes. But what gets me is the fact that the Chi-Coms can't even make a potato peeler; how are they going to make our factories better? They won't, of course; they'll just make it easier to keep on lowering wages for people who work and raising them for drones who fly a desk.

We are watching the death of American free enterprise. It is happening right before our eyes. Sometimes even you and I make the mistake of seeing success as the bottom line in a business. We don't look at the damage that "success" is doing--to the business itself.

The concept is simple. Have an idea. Spend money to put it in place. Work hard. Hire good workers and pay them a fair wage. Hire administrators whose goal is to make the business run better. Offer a better product. Compete. But ALWAYS keep in mind that it is the company which must come first. No company, no jobs.

That's not hard to understand. And yet I have watched thousands of companies start up, run well, be amazingly successful, and then suddenly die. In almost every case the failure was leeches who sucked the lifeblood out of the company by shunting profits into their own pockets, and destroyed employee loyalty by underpaying their workers.

Remember--was it Woolco?--and the story about there being so few checkouts that people began looking at the clocks and writing in about it the long time they spent in checkout lines? So the executive solution was to send an order to take down the clocks?

Always it's the symptoms they address; never the problems.

Boy, do I hate to say this! But it looks like the only way we are going to get honesty and common sense back in business is to write laws. Ugh! But we have to do something.

I took a masters degree in Educational Administration, not because I had any interest in it but because I had already taken so many chemistry courses for by undergraduate degree that there was nothing left to take for a masters. Some of the courses I took covered administration in general, and were filled with bus-ed majors. I will never forget the tripe they taught in those courses. They didn't teach how to administer; they taught how to hype things, how to fool the public, and how to feather your own nest while you did it.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.