324 Time to stand up and protect your birthright.

Comments

Tom Garrett 9 months ago

There has never been a bill before Congress which is a worse example of a sell-out for a few votes than the current immigration bill. It solves nothing; all it does is make matters worse. Once we show other potential illegals that we will reward them for coming here illegally we will never again be able to shut the door.

The proper solution for the illegal problem is to make coming here illegally an unpleasant mistake, one that people will not want to make. The way to do that is to pass two simple laws: One that makes it a felony to be found within the borders of the United States without a proper visa. And one that corrects the error which has allowed the children of illegals born here to be given legal status as American citizens; they have no right to that status.

Those two laws cost nothing. They are simple to write and easy to enforce. They put teeth in our legal system and will encourage illegals now here to go back home before they are arrested, tried, and imprisoned. They eliminate the motivation to illegally cross our borders. They take the strain off the Border Patrol. They show that the United States is a sovereign nation, and that its people are not fools.

The bill has gotten through the U. S. Senate thanks to a few Republicans who have forgotten their pledge to represent the people who elected them. They have sold themselves for a few votes.

If you do not write, phone, or e-mail your representative, and that bill passes because he or she thinks you will look the other way when the next election arrives, you will only have to look in the mirror in future years to see who was the cause of the many, many problems you are seeing.

This is the time to stand up and be counted!

This is one case in which you can be sure your voice will be heard.

Speak up now or forever regret it!

Tom Garrett 9 months ago

In case anybody is wondering, I sent my e-mails out at 5:44 pm on Tuesday, 16 July, 2013. Do it, folks! Republican, Democrat, or Independent you do not want to live in a country which gives up the right to decide who can, or cannot, come here. This is your chance to speak out about what history will show was the greatest issue of our day. You are part of a turning point in history. You can either speak out and stop what is going on, flooding Washington with phone calls and e-mail, or you can live to wish you had.

Ronald Hamric 9 months ago

Not quite ready to give up on it are you Tom? I also make my voice heard but often feel like a lonely voice crying in the wilderness.

Bernice Winandy 9 months ago

There are many lonely voices crying in the wilderness. Sometimes they are crying about local issues and sometimes national issues. :-)

Pat Randall 9 months ago

Win the small fights and that will take care of the big ones.

Tom Garrett 9 months ago

Right, Ron. The only way to get them to listen is to flood them with mail and phone calls. The only thing they care about is votes, so we need to scare them to get something done.

Pat, the only way to win this fight is to let Congress know how you feel. This IS the big fight, and the small one, and all of them. If they find that they can slip this one in on us, they'll know they can do anything.

Pat Randall 9 months ago

We can't keep the illegals out of Payson. Remember our past police chief said they are only trying to make a better life for their family. Well they took jobs from citizens that were trying to make a better life for their family.

Pat,

That excuse " they are only trying to make a better life for their family. " makes my blood boil. Think about this for a moment. Just what do people think the motivations of say ,burglars are. You guessed it, they (both burglars and illegals) are simply trying to improve their lot in life. Now should we excuse that conduct in light of the reality that they are helping themselves to other people's stuff, while simply in the process of trying to " make a better life for their family" No! Not just no, but hell no! We have criminal laws in this nation and if someone sneaks into the domicile of another and takes things that don't belong to them, we arrest them, try them, and send them to the hoosegow. I see no difference between burglars crimes and those of illegal entrants and they both deserve to have the full weight of the law brought down on their conduct.

Tom Garrett 9 months ago

"That excuse " they are only trying to make a better life for their family. " makes my blood boil. "

Makes your blood, boil, mine, Pat's, and about 300 million other Americans. It's the usual "throw 'em a bone" sound bite. Of course people are streaming across the border from Mexico. The government down there is as corrupt as governments get. The disparity in earnings between the poor and the wealthy is close to the worst in the world. Mexico, a nation in the new world with a history that parallels ours, is comparable to some of the poorest third nations just beginning to do things that Mexico did centuries ago. Law? Order? Justice? Forget it! Over the past 50 years those things have gone backward instead of forward. If I were down there I'd be trying to get here too. But that does not justify breaking our laws.

Why do you suppose Clinton negotiated NAFTA? He was afraid to admit the truth, which was that he either had to DO something about the growing illegal problem or it was going to balloon into what it has become today--the number one national problem. But he was afraid to lose a few votes so he sent jobs down there hoping that maybe it would stop the flow across the border. Every Democrat since has done the same thing: tried to hide the problem, fool us with idiotic sound bites, and hope the problem would go away AFTER he left office.

Just ask yourself this one question. Ask it honestly. Think about it. Be absolutely fair. Try your best to see the current bill in the most favorable light. Then ask what will happen if we pass the current bill in Congress? Will it stop the flow of illegals, or will it make the situation worse?

Saw and interesting bit of info on the net today in regards this issue. "They are coming here for the work." We hear that so often in defense of the illegals, but according to the article today, unemployment in the US is still stuck at somewhere around 7.6%. In Mexico it is currently only 5%. Sort of blows holes in that motive, eh?

Pat Randall 9 months ago

As I said before get rid of the illegals and there will be work for citizens that belong here. Stop the long unemployment payments and people will find a job sooner. Why work when you get all the freebies?

When I sold real estate in Mesa the govt. came out with a mortgage I think it was called a section 8 for low income people. I NEVER sold one. I never passed by one that didn't have a colored TV. Back then the antennas were different for colored or black and white TV. Back in the dark ages. I am old. A lot of them had boats, two cars, and other toys. I couldn't afford them so why should they have them when I was paying 9% or more on my mortgage while they were only paying 2%? Some even had the nerve to put in swimming pools while the rest of us paid for all of it.

Tom Garrett 9 months ago

Ron,

As long as the mainstream media supports only one side of each issue we will never hear the truth. We keep hearing sound bites. "Oh, they're just coming for jobs." "Oh, they're just trying to better their lives." "Oh, this...." "Oh, that...."

What difference does it make why someone breaks the law? If it is a proper law, then it should be obeyed. And if it isn't a proper law it should be gotten rid of. We have plenty of both. What gets me is the diligence with which I see laws like the drug laws enforced, while other laws go ignored. In fact, it's worse than that; we have local and state governments trying to enforce the laws while the feds actually work to make it harder to do it.

As for news, we no longer get news; we get propaganda. Look at what was done to poor Zimmerman. They actually edited the tape to make it look like he said something he did not say. That is criminal, an attempt to have a man killed or injured by an angry mob who thinks he is a racist, but have you see anyone say one word about prosecuting those who are guilty? No. And you won't either.

What do you think of this, Ron? Over in the UK you can bring a private prosecution against someone you believe is in violation of a criminal statute. It has been that way for a long, long time and as far as I can see has never been abused. Do you think it would be a good idea for us to have a law like that?

I remember all that mortgage stuff, Pat. Give-away programs do not work. The reason they do not work is that they never address the problem; they just address the symptoms. The reason that interests were so high was speculation. The answer was to make that particular type of speculation illegal, not to give hand-outs to voters so they will quit demanding action.

Truly, I am appalled at the rampant corruption in this country. And I'll tell you something: we very lucky that we are still wealthy because of our natural resources and what we did in earlier years, but the day is rapidly approaching when there will be a point where that seesaw tips to the other side--and look out!

PS: Just added this after doing a spell check. I misspelled "particular" this way "parrticular." My dumb adze spell checker offered me two choices. The first one was "protocolar." Now get this. I not only don't know what that means--if anything--but I'd really like to now who wrote that program.

Pam Mason 9 months ago

I agree with everything that has been written. About a year ago I wrote on Roundup Blog about the steps that need to be taken in order to legally apply for a Resident Alien Card. At least what I remembered. Some of the steps were to prove a US Citizen was a close relative and that you were eligible to apply in the first place. Or that you had special qualifications for employment i.e. scientist, doctor, man of the cloth and so on. Present financial documents to show you had sufficient funds to support yourself. If that was not the case then you needed a financial sponsor here in the US. This sponsor would provide to immigration financial documents such as savings/bank account and mortgage statements. Financial sponsor would also swear that they would be responsible for any outstanding bills or loans including medical if you were unable to pay. Applicant also promised that their intent was not to be a burden on the state. Criminal back ground check and proof that you did not have a problematic mental disorder. Likewise undergo a physical performed by a doctor assigned by the US Embassy. This included x-rays etc. You swore at the Embassy to uphold the laws of the US and that you intended no harm to the President or Government.

This was a long process with documents going back and forth and several visits to the Embassy. It is a written procedure and every step needed to be complied with. I absolutely had no problem with compliance and I feel it is the right and fair way to do it.

We were warned never to photocopy the Resident Alien Card and at that time every year you received a post card to fill out and return confirming your current address. No problem. Everyone is told to carry their Resident Alien Card with them at all times and it is about the size of a drivers license. No one has to carry stacks of papers around with them as some in the press would have you believe.

To allow others who entered illegally to jump the queue and eliminate the lawful process is unfair to those already waiting. The quota numbers elsewhere are getting smaller and when I looked at some of the waiting times (depending on how many qualifying points you had) many many years could pass and you may never be called to the Embassy. It is also unfair to those in line in Mexico who are willing to comply with the rules.

It is an honor to live in the US and be a US Citizen however, the double standards being introduced in the immigration bill casts a cloud over the whole matter.

Tom Garrett 8 months, 4 weeks ago

Thanks, Pam.

I could not agree with you more.

Lolly and I were married in a beautiful Catholic cathedral in Karachi in 1960. I worked in the embassy and was in the military, so I more or less presumed it would be very simple to arrange for Lolly to enter the U.S. on an immigrant visa.

Hah! As Pam says, it is a long and complex process, not an unfair process, or one where roadblocks are thrown in the way, but a long and complex one. One thing that complicated it is that Lolly took the ordinary little TB Tine test that I suppose most of us have had at one time or another (I have but, way back when I was a lad). It consists of a stick in the forearm with a little needle that causes a slight bubble of the skin. If nothing happens, that's that, but if there is any kind of reaction, however slight, it indicates that you have at some time in your life been exposed to the tuberculosis virus.

Wouldn't you know? Because Lolly's poor mother had died of TB, Lolly showed a very slight reaction. So we had to get a chest xray for her to show that there were no actual signs of the disease. Now that would be no big deal here, buy try it in Karachi in 1961. The xray was FULL SIZE! That's right, the whole size of a human chest, about 18 inches wide and 24 inches high. Try hauling that thing all the way 10,000 miles on three different aircraft to the states!

A few years later, after Lolly had applied for and earned her citizenship--one of the happiest days of her life if the big smile on her face as she raised her hand and swore her oath means anything--her two brothers, Jim and Trevor, who were living in England, thought they would apply to come here. They were both electronic technicians, well versed in computer science. They NEVER got here. Why? Quota. Long, long wait. They are both retired from very good jobs and are in the UK now, though Trevor is enjoying a very long stay in Calcutta at the moment, and says he may even spend his declining years in a place away from the rush of London. Both of them would have been a welcome addition to this nation. Never got here.

I should add that Betty, Lolly's sister, and her husband Peter, are here. Peter ran Terminal Four at Sky Harbor until he retired. Peter came here from Heathrow Airport in London on a special arrangement.

I have known people in 8 countries who wanted to come here but couldn't do it because of a wait that made it financially impractical, including France, Italy, Germany, Iceland, and Japan in addition to my British relatives. Many of them are now in Canada or Australia. Our loss!

Why should we give away what some people work so hard to earn?

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.