331 Are things really that bad, or is it tunnel vision?

Comments

Tom Garrett 1 year, 3 months ago

Something occurred to me while I was reading a letter to the editor written by Ric Hawthorne. Ric had a lot to say as he talked about Independence Day, but I suppose this covers it:

Quote.

And here we are, a mere few hundred years later, blindly walking into oppression, loss of personal freedoms, a government that spies on its own people and uses governmental agencies to punish those it sees as “enemies.”

So what are we celebrating?

Unmanned drones? Executions without due process? The abrogation of our constitutional rights? Legislation by emotion and knee-jerk reactions and special interest groups?

Unquote

I wondered, as I read that, if the reason I worry so much about way things are is because I do this forum, as so hear about it every day, or is it really all that bad?

The best way for me to get an answer for that question is to ask you folks who don't have to scan the news every day.

Is it really that bad, or am I just suffering from tunnel vision?

frederick franz 1 year, 3 months ago

I feel that it is that bad. I also follow news and media web sites. Things get worse all the time and no correction is apparent. One bright spot...we still have no sales tax in Grants Pass, Oregon!

Ronald Hamric 1 year, 3 months ago

Tom, I honestly believe we lost one of our key "protections" when the MSM actually came out of the closet. They no longer had to continue with the façade that they were objective and imply reporting the facts so that we might draw our own conclusions. The support we got from a "free press" even if it had long been nothing but illusion, was that they had to keep the powers to be feet to the fire. Fortunately those f us who are really interested in the socio/political activities in this country have the internet and have the opportunity to investigate and gather facts for ourselves. Unfortunately, far too many Americans still actually believe the propaganda they are being spoon fed by today's MSM. The government literally could not get away with the assaults on the Constitution and Bill of Rights that we have been witness to, without complicity on the part of the MSM. I believe Mr. Hawthorne was nat on in his observations. And you are too astute and experienced to be snookered by what is being proffered as "news" today. Not to worry, except for our country that is.

Maybe you're right. Maybe it is that bad. I was just wondering what it was like for people who were like I used to be. There was a time when you could have asked me what was going on in DC and I couldn't even have told you who was president. I was happy then. Was I just blind?

What astounds me, to be honest, is that I know some people who I see occasionally who actually repeat things that are so juvenile I just shake my head when I hear them. And yet they seem to have swallowed them whole. Sound bite city!

Have people always been so blind? So slow to understand? Is that the problem?

The only thing I disagree (180 degrees) with Ric on are the "unmanned drones." What the hell is wrong with a guided weapon? Do people expect us to send manned aircraft in to do a job that can be done with a few hundred dollars worth of junk? What difference does it make where the pilot of an aircraft is located? In the cockpit or at a screen he is still the one making the decisions. Personally, I would like it a whole lot better if we could get "unmanned uniforms" and let the drones fight it out while we all ate hotdogs and drank a beer.

Thanks, John.

Remember the old saw about there being no wars if the rulers of nations had to get out there and fight it out?

One other odd thought popped into my mind. I wondered if anyone remembers the science fiction story written in the 1948-49 period where boxers were machines, and someone tried to get some pathos into the fact that an out of date machine was getting its head handed to it?

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.