327 Most Muslims do not want Islamic governments.

Comments

Tom Garrett 1 year, 4 months ago

The people of Egypt have kicked out the extremist president who took over after a coup.

An article I read pointed out that, "Judging by the fierce anti-coup rhetoric coming from Turkey, the ouster of Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood president by military fiat has shaken Turkey’s own Islam-rooted leaders."

And it adds that, "Turkey’s ruling party invested much in [the Egyptian president's] year-long rule, offering political support and loans and business deals worth $2 billion to Egypt’s first elected government, which it saw as a kindred ideological spirit and proof of the popular appeal of political Islam."

Also:

"But as Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan lashes out against Egypt’s coup as if it had been aimed at his own Justice and Development Party (AKP) – whose Islam-leaning predecessors faced multiple military coups – he is virtually alone. Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, and Kuwait have pledged $12 billion to aid any post-Morsi regime, though Qatar, another rich Persian Gulf monarchy and a strong backer of Morsi, has kept relatively quiet."

And what does the extremist Prime Minister of Turkey have to say about all this?

(Careful! You may split your gut laughing.)

“No matter where they are…coups are bad,” Mr. Erdogan said in televised remarks this week. “Coups are clearly enemies of democracy.”

But the Turkish Daily News says, “A lot of Turks now read Egypt in Turkish terms. Erdogan and his party identify with Morsi strongly, whereas his opponents are saying, ‘You see, Morsi made the same mistakes in Egypt you are doing here, and you see what happened.’”

Ah, yes. But will he learn the lesson?

Or will they have to boot him too?

Ronald Hamric 1 year, 4 months ago

Just something in the human spirit that allows most people to simply look around at the freedom, quality of life, and standard of living of others and say, "Hey, that's what I want also". I sense these views in most cultures and countries in spite of whatever religious underpinnings exist within their government or culture. I think this is especially true of the younger generations in all countries. They are very adept with the Internet and reluctant to only believe what is spoon fed to them through government propaganda efforts. True freedom is truly infectious and desirable once someone has tasted it.

I think Thomas Jefferson had the most clear-eyed view of freedom I have ever seen.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

"That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed...."

I could have thought, and written, for two years and not have come up with anything that even begins to come close to that.

He sees it so clearly.

• That some statements do not have to be proven because they are self evident truths. • That we have rights which cannot be taken away from us. • That the right to life is the most fundamental of all rights • That Liberty is the next most precious right. • That the search for happiness is is the third leg of three legged stool. • That the purpose of government is to secure (obtain and maintain) those rights for us. • That government has no power except that which flows from us.

Take anything which is wrong with this government and compare it to those seven basic principles and you will immediately see what is wrong and how to fix it.

Take a law which makes it mandatory that we each buy health insurance.

It is so obvious that this collides with the inalienable rights of liberty and the pursuit of happiness that it almost seems as though those thoughts were stated with it in mind, and it is equally obvious that since the power to make laws comes from us, and we have not granted the government the power to interfere in our private lives, such a law cannot stand; it is the exact reverse: the government declaring its power over the people against their wishes.

Solution: Toss out the law--and the people who wrote it.

Take anything else which is wrong. Look at it the same way, and the solution is immediate.

The people in Turkey and Egypt each have a Constitution. No doubt they are different from ours in some details, but one look at them will show that, without ever having stated it as Jefferson did, they believe in the same rights. Why? Because they are natural rights, so obvious that we are born understanding them.

PS. Off the point. I my spell checker came from DC. It keeps doing things like this: I misspelled "Happiness." It's first choice as acorrection was "the pursuit of haziness." Is someone in DC is paying Apple to cloud issues? :-)

Watch closely, folks. I know it may not seem to you that something happening far away in Egypt is a big deal, but it is.

The latest report says:

"Egypt's interim president selected a team of legal experts Saturday to rewrite controversial portions of the Islamist-drafted constitution, as the military-backed leadership moved quickly to [undo] the coup that ousted the country's first freely elected leader."

It means that the Egyptian people are fighting the same fight we fought in 1776. They want democracy. They had it for a while and then there was a coup backed by the Muslim Brotherhood, which put in Mohammed Morsi and proceeded to write an Islamist-drafted constitution.

What you are seeing is a people fighting for their liberty, have no doubt about it. If Egypt and Syria were to have fallen to Islamic extremism it would not have been good for the world.

Right now, a 10-member committee of judges and law professors will propose amendments to the constitution. They have 30 days to do that. Then a second committee, comprised of 50 public figures including politicians, unionists and religious figures, then will have 60 days to review those amendments.

After that, citizens will vote on the proposed amendments in a referendum and elections are to follow. "We want to reach a constitution that is representative of the people's will," said one of the committee members.

Has a familiar ring, doesn't it?

We have to make sure that Washington makes it clear where we stand when the people of any nation demand democracy.

Wondering who's back of the original coup in Egypt? On Saturday, security officials said that police raided the Iranian Alalam TV station and arrested its manager. Authorities said the station did not have the proper permits to operate in Egypt.

And you want to know who's on the right side of all this?

Jordan's King Abdullah met with the country's president, army chief and other top figures Saturday in the first visit by a head of state to Cairo since the coup.

Another case of people who want their freedom.

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.